Celebrating 120 Years: 1893–2013
In 2013, the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) marks the 120th anniversary of the institution’s founding. It is also the 100th anniversary of MCW’s long and formative years as the Marquette University School of Medicine.
MCW began as the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons, founded on May 20, 1893. On January 14, 1913, the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine.
In 1967, the school became a private, freestanding institution. The name was changed in 1970 to the Medical College of Wisconsin.
From these roots, MCW has grown into a nationally recognized education, research and clinical powerhouse. MCW has more than 15,000 living alumni.
Please wait while we gather your results.
Dec. 10 - In 2005 and 2006, Kenosha County reviewed injury data which placed suicide as a top concern. The county also suffered a tragic bump in teen suicides during those years.
Dec. 10 - Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer, Inc., (MACC Fund) the College’s largest donor, was created on Dec. 10, 1976, the night recognizing the retirement of its founder, Milwaukee Bucks basketball player Jon McGlocklin.
Dec. 06 - On Dec. 6, 1951, Kurtis Froedtert, owner of the Froedtert Malt and Grain Company, died. He left an estimated $9-11 million to create a new Lutheran hospital that would support medical education and research.
Oct.31 - Peter Layde, MD, MSc, knew in 2008 that Wisconsin faced a coming shortage of health care and public health workers due to an aging population with growing health care needs.
Oct. 21 - On Oct. 21, 2010, John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, was inaugurated as President and CEO. He began serving as President in July 2010.
Oct. 14 - On Oct. 14, 1970, the medical school’s Board of Directors renamed the institution as the Medical College of Wisconsin to reflect its new direction to serve the entire state.
Sept. 30 - On Sept. 30, 1967, the high cost of maintaining a medical school forced Marquette University to sever all ties with its medical school in the face of a $1.3 million deficit.
Sept. 30 - Sept. 29, 1980, dedication ceremonies were held for Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center campus.
Sept. 12 - On Sept. 12, 1990, T. Michael Bolger, JD, was inaugurated as President and CEO. He had been named to the position in July 1990. Mr. Bolger continued to serve as President and CEO until 2010.
Sept. 13 - On Sept. 14, 1977, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center campus. As identified in Kurtis Froedtert’s will, the hospital was to be a teaching affiliate of the Medical College.
Aug 28 - When Ray* went to fill his prescription after being diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, he learned that the pills cost $400 a month. Ray, like many who cannot afford their medicine, found his hope for better health slipping away like the memory of a pleasant dream.
May 21 - The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) celebrated its 120th year of medical education on Monday, May 20, with a reception on campus. The event included a special presentation hosted by T. Michael Bolger, JD, President Emeritus, and a cake cutting ceremony.
May 15 - The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) will celebrate its 120th year of medical education, Monday, May 20, with a reception on campus. The school was founded in 1893 as the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. On Jan. 14, 1913, the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine.
May 20 - The Medical College of Wisconsin will celebrate its 120th anniversary on Monday, May 20. Anniversary events include a presentation by T. Michael Bolger, JD, MCW President Emeritus, from 4-5 p.m. in the Kerrigan Auditorium, and a reception. The reception will follow the presentation and be held in the MCW cafeteria lobby. The celebration events are open to the entire MCW community.
Jul 01 - On July 1, 2004, the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research was created through the merger of the International Bone Marrow Transplant Registry and the National Marrow Donor Program.
Jul 15 - On July 14, 2010, the National Institutes of Health announced that the Medical College would receive a $20 million Clinical and Translational Science Award as part of the federal government’s program to establish select translational research centers nationwide.
May 28 - On May 20th, the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) celebrated its 120th year of medical education with a reception on campus. As part of the event, T. Michael Bolger, JD, President Emeritus, hosted a special presentation. A video of that presentation is now available.