Inform us of a death

Fall-Winter 2010
issue (pdf)

In Memoriam

Alumni News accepts and publishes obituaries of Medical College of Wisconsin, Marquette School of Medicine, and Marquette University School of Medicine alumni.

Richard Foregger, MD ’38, of Milwaukee, died May 7, 2010, in Wauwatosa, Wis. after a short illness. He was 97 years old. Dr. Foregger was a front line anesthesiologist with the Third Auxiliary Surgical Group in the U.S. Army during World War II. From 1947 to 1984 he was an anesthesiologist at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Milwaukee, serving as head of the department from 1956 to 1963. He was the author of two books and more than 80 scientific and military history publications. He was named a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Anesthetists and introduced several new anesthesiology advances to the U.S. based on his wartime experiences in England. His survivors include four children and five grandchildren.

Robert Karen, MD ’41, of Irvine, Calif., died June 8, 2010. He grew up in Yissinia, Greece, and moved to the United States to attend medical school. Upon graduation, he practiced medicine in Milwaukee for more than 55 years. He enjoyed traveling with his wife, Helen, and his daughter. He is survived by both.

Maximillian V. Grabiec, MD ’43, of Niagara Falls, N.Y. died Dec. 3, 2008. He was 91 years old. He practiced internal medicine. His survivors include four children, eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife, Helen.

Joseph P. Giglio, MD ’44, of Fairfield, Wis., died June 22, 2010. He was 94 years old. After serving in the Army during WWII, Dr. Giglio maintained a practice as a general surgeon in Garden City, N.Y. He also taught anatomy for 20 years at Poly Clinic in Manhattan. After retirement, Dr. Giglio resumed his love of art and spent many years painting. His survivors include his wife, Marie, and one son.

John “Jack” Rotchford MD ’45, died March 25, 2010, in Spokane, Wash. He was 88 years old. After serving in the Army Reserves as a lieutenant colonel and subsequent medical training, Dr. Rotchford opened an OB/GYN practice in Spokane, Wash., in 1953. In 1960, he joined the American College Board of Surgeons and was on the staff of both Deaconess and Sacred Heart Hospitals. In 1978, he was appointed President of the medical staff of Sacred Heart Hospital, where he also served on the board of trustees. Dr. Rotchford was Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Washington School of Medicine, and he was the founder of the Immaculate Heart Retreat House. He  was an avid golfer. His survivors include his wife, Mildred, and three children.
Ernest Szabados, MD ’46 (March), died March 15, 2010, in Independence, Mo. He was 89 years old. He practiced neuro-orthopaedic surgery in Independence. He also played the violin in the St. Louis Philharmonic Orchestra.

Gilbert A. Dedinsky, MD ’47, of San Jose, Calif., died Jan. 30, 2010. He was 86 years old. He served as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force for two years, holding the rank of captain during the Korean War. He was awarded the Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Medal and a Victory Medal. Following training in surgery and burn research, Dr. Dedinsky began a private practice in general surgery in 1957 in California. He was associated with San Jose Hospital, O’Connor Hospital, Alexian Brothers Hospital and Good Samaritan Hospital. His professional memberships included the American Medical Association and the California Medical Association. He retired in 1991 after 44 years. He enjoyed gardening, watching sports, listening to classical music and being with his family. His survivors include his wife of 54 years, Carol, four children and nine grandchildren.

Keith Foster, MD ’47, died April 4, 2010, in Bismarck, N.D. He was 85 years old. He served in the Army from 1943 to 1946, then in the Air Force as assistant chief of medicine at Wright Patterson Air Force Base Hospital in Dayton, Ohio, from 1951 to 1953. For more than 20 years, Dr. Foster privately practiced in Dickinson, N.D., and Bismarck. In 1974, he was appointed Professor and Assistant Dean at the North Dakota School of Medicine, where he was instrumental in expanding the medical school to a four-year program from a two-year program. He also served as Medical Director of the Heartview Foundation in Bismarck. He was a pioneer in treating alcohol as a disease and furthered the understanding of alcoholism as a Bush Clinical Fellow at the National Institutes of Health and the Royal Free Hospital in London. In 1986, he became the first North Dakota physician to be board certified in addiction medicine. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Dorothy, four children, 16 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his daughter.

Thomas W. Schubert, MD ’52, of Seabeck, Wash., died April 5, 2010. He practiced in the field of ophthalmology.

Charles E. Theisen, MD ’54, died Sept. 11, 2010. He was 82 years old. Dr. Theisen served in the Medical Corps in the U.S. Army from 1946-47. He practiced family medicine for nearly 40 years and in the 1970s, he served as Chief of Staff at Trinity Memorial Hospital in Cudahy, Wis. He enjoyed running, singing in the church choir, reading, writing poetry and listening to classical music. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Carol, seven children, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. He was preceded in death by his daughter.

John R. “Pat” McKenzie, MD ’55, GME ’65, died Aug. 14, 2010, in Oshkosh, Wis., from complications of Alzheimer’s disease. He was 82 years old. A general practitioner from 1956 to 1962 in Rice Lake, Wis., he delivered about 600 babies. He served as Barron County Coroner in the late 1950s, early 1960s. After additional training he practiced as a radiologist in the Fox River Valley for more than 25 years, serving as Chief of Staff and Chief of Radiology at Mercy Medical Center in additional to other regional hospital appointments. He was a Delegate to the Wisconsin Medical Society and became a Fellow of the American College of Radiology in 1980. He served on the board of directors for the American Medical Association, the Wisconsin Medical Society and other local organizations. He enjoyed golf, baseball, basketball, fishing, hunting, water skiing and St. Patrick’s Day. His survivors include his wife of 59 years, Marilyn, eight children, 25 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Krystyna S. Bokota MD ’57, of Valparaiso, Ind., died June 16, 2010, after a long battle with esophageal cancer. Originally from Poland, Dr. Bokota immigrated to the United States to attend medical school, and at the age of 24, she was the youngest in her graduating class. She entered public service as Director of Lake County Comprehensive Mental Health Clinic, serving northwest Indiana. Fifteen years later, she started a private practice in psychiatry and was on staff at St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Dyer, Ind., at St. Catherine Hospital in East Chicago, Ind., and at a Charter Clinic in Hobart, Ind. She retired in 1997 and enjoyed traveling, reading, music and art. She is survived by her husband of 52 years, Stanley, two sons and five grandchildren.

Bernard J. Malburg, Jr., MD ’57, died March 6, 2010, in Grand Junction, Colo. He was 80 years old. During residency, Dr. Malburg was the first physician to train in family practice at St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. In 1960, he opened a private practice in Denver and provided health care to students at the University of Denver and served as a team physician for its athletic department. After completing a sports medicine fellowship, Dr. Malburg served as an athletic physician for Colorado State University, and was also their student health doctor. In 1972, Dr. Malburg became a family practice physician at Craig Medical Clinic and worked as an attending physician and chief of staff at The Memorial Hospital in Craig, Colo. He then opened a private practice there in 1973. Starting in 1989, he worked as a clinic physician for Rose Medical Center in Denver until he retired in 1994. Among his many professional activities and certifications, he was a charter member of the American Academy of Family Physicians. He enjoyed fishing, gardening, attending football and hockey games, as well as musical and theatrical events. His survivors include his wife, Ruth Esther, seven children, 13 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Mary Ellen.

Ruth S. Rinder, MD ’59, died April 20, 2010. She was 85 years old. A practicing psychiatrist, Dr. Rinder was also a concert pianist and enjoyed culture, travel, and the arts. Her survivors include five children and seven grandchildren.

Peter Lameka Jr., MD ’60, GME ’66, of Ocala, Fla., died June 21, 2010. He was 76 years old. A Milwaukee Native, Dr. Lameka served as a captain in the U.S. Army, Dr. Lameka practiced primarily in heart surgery, later becoming Chief of Anesthesia at St. Luke’s Hospital. He retired in 1991. His survivors include his wife, Lisa, five children and five grandchildren.

Charles Aprahamian, MD ’62, GME ’67Charles Aprahamian, MD ’62, GME ’67, of Brookfield, Wis., died June 25, 2010. He was 75 years old. Dr. Aprahamian came to The Medical College of Wisconsin in 1976 as an assistant professor having previously served in the U.S. Army from 1952 to 1954, followed by his medical training. As Professor of Surgery and Chief of Trauma Surgery, he helped establish Wisconsin’s first Level 1 Trauma Center at what is now Froedtert Hospital. He was Director of the Emergency Department for eight years. He pioneered Emergency Medical Services training (EMS) in Wisconsin and also helped develop the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) course, which has been taught to thousands of health care providers across the country. He received the Medical College’s highest faculty honor, its Distinguished Service Award, in 1995, and he was honored with the creation of the Milton & Lidy Lunda/Charles Aprahamian Chair in Trauma at the College. His survivors include his wife of 55 years, Pat, six children, 15 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Marvin Z. Slesh, MD, GME ’63, of Chesterland, Ohio, died Jan. 9, 2010. He was 74 years old. He was a general surgeon in Willoughby, Ohio. His survivors include his wife, Ginni.

August D. Kropp, MD ’64, of Presque Isle, Wis., died Sept. 10, 2010. He was 72 years old. Dr. Kropp served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy and was a psychiatrist for 20 years at St. Luke’s Medical Center. His survivors include his wife, Lucia, three children and eight grandchildren.

L. Ronald Cromwell, MD ’73, PhD ’71, GME ’76, died July 5, 2010, unexpectedly at his home in Wauwatosa. Wis. He was 66 years old. Dr. Cromwell practiced as a staff psychiatrist and later as Associate Medical Director in charge of Quality Management at what was then named the Milwaukee County Mental Health Center. Under his direction, the hospital received Joint Commission accreditation. He instituted a pet therapy ward and arranged for his patients to go on outings for pizza and picnics. After his retirement, he enjoyed opera, theater, detective fiction, gardening and studying maps. He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Lucy, and two children.

Charles H. Chambers, MD, GME ’74, died April 26, 2010. He was 66 years old. He was a general surgeon. His survivors include his former wife, Patricia, and two sons.

Frank E. Jones, MD, GME ’76, of Upper St. Claire, Wis., died April 10, 2010. He was 67 years old. Dr. Jones worked for CIGNA/Intracorp, in Philadelphia as Medical Director. Prior, he was a surgeon at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, the Royal C. Johnson VA Medical Center in South Dakota and The Medical College of Wisconsin. His survivors include his wife, Cathleen, four children, three step children and one step-grandchild.

Nancy L. Betzold, MD ’85, GME ’88, of Ashland, Wis., died May 15, 2010. She was 51 years old. She practiced family medicine in Ashland, Wis. from 1988 until May 2009. Dr. Betzold was active in the Chequamegon Humane Association in Ashland and was an avid reader, enjoyed electronics, cooking, gardening, working with stained glass, scrapbooking and needlework. Her surviving family includes sister Rose A. Franco, MD ’91, Fel ’97.

Jane F. Hollander, MA ’97, of Milwaukee died June 27, 2010, of pancreatic cancer. She was 64 years old. Starting in 1985, she worked as a medical malpractice mediator. Her master’s degree from the Medical College was in bioethics. She grew up playing the cello and studied at Julliard Preparatory School in New York City. Later, she taught cello lessons, and in 2005, she organized a special cello performance at Summerfest in Milwaukee. In 2006, she published a book titled “Preparing the Performer: Secrets for string players from primary to professional.” She loved animals, especially dogs, and enjoyed working on her house and yard. Her survivors include two daughters.


Comments are subject to approval. The Medical College reserves the right to edit comments for length, grammar, clarity and appropriateness.

Please include your first and last name. Alumni, please also feel free to include your class year(s). Your e-mail address will not be published.

Comments / Ratings

The following required items were not provided or are in the wrong format. Please provide the required responses and submit again:

  Please enter your name
  Please enter a valid email
Comment Title:
Comment: 250 characters left
  Please enter a comment

Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
(414) 955-8296
Directions & Maps
© 2015

Page Updated 11/02/2012