Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences at the Medical College of Wisconsin
The Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences is committed to the ongoing training, research, and education of medical students, residents, community and international physicians, as well as, allied health professionals including nurse practitioners, audiologists, and speech pathologists.
Not only does the department have all of the Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery subspecialties represented;
but it also is the largest Otolaryngology Group in the State of Wisconsin along with having the largest number of fellowship trained subspecialists in the State.
Currently there are 25 faculty members: 19 physicians and physician-scientists, and 6 -PhD scientists, who have demonstrated both willingness and capability in serving their patients and the community.
The Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences is based at Froedtert Hospital, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, and the Zablocki VA Medical Center.
The Medical College of Wisconsin traces its roots to 1893 with the founding of the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1913, the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine. In 1967, Marquette University relinquished its sponsorship of the medical school. The school then continued as a private, freestanding, national institution, and in 1970 changed its name to the Medical College of Wisconsin.
The Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences of the Medical College of Wisconsin gained departmental status in July 1998. Prior to that date, it had been a Division within the Department of Surgery.