Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, Inc.
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES COMMITTED TO A PROGRAM
A number of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Program Requirements call for an institutional policy governing the program’s educational resources. The policy is intended to ensure the cooperation of all involved disciplines. Programs with this requirement are expected to draw up a policy using the template below. It should be signed by all pertinent program directors, chairs, and the Designated Institutional Official (DIO) of MCWAH. The policy should be kept on file.
Educational Resources Committed to the (Program Name)
(Subspecialty) is a specialty that involves physicians and other medical personnel from a number of medical specialties. The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) requires there be an institutional policy that governs the educational resources committed to the (Subspecialty) program. This policy must ensure cooperation of all involved disciplines.
1. Training in (Subspecialty) occurs after the completion of (describe when individuals are eligible for program, including areas of possible previous training).
2. Training in (Subspecialty) is sponsored by (Residency Program sponsor) and involves the following disciplines: (list disciplines). These disciplines are expected to cooperate and provide the resources necessary to provide trainees with appropriate and comprehensive training.
3. The (Program Name) Program Director has primary responsibility for organizing the educational program for each trainee and securing the cooperation of all involved disciplines.
4. The Designated Institutional Official (DIO) will monitor the educational resources committed to the (Program Name) through the Internal Review process, annual Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals (MCWAH) Housestaff Survey and annual MCWAH Faculty Survey.
5. If difficulties in the distribution of resources are identified, the DIO will meet with members of the involved programs to assess the situation and make recommendations. The DIO will report these findings to the Graduate Medical Education Council (GMEC). If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily, the DIO and GMEC have final authority to ensure educational resources are appropriately distributed.
List dated signatures and professional titles of all pertinent Program Directors, Department Chairs and the DIO.
This policy was approved by the MCWAH Graduate Medical Education Council on November 16, 2009.