Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, Inc.
TRANSFERS TO AND FROM GME PROGRAMS
TRANSFER TO/FROM NON-MCWAH PROGRAMS
Before accepting a resident who is transferring from another institution, the Program Director must receive written or electronic verification of previous educational experiences and a summative competency-based performance evaluation of the transferring resident.
When a resident transfers to another institution, the Program Director must provide timely verification of residency education and summative performance evaluations for residents who leave the program prior to completion.
TRANSFER TO ANOTHER MCWAH PROGRAM
1. No interprogram transfer will be allowed during the academic year unless both Program Directors strongly concur that it is in the best interest of both programs and the resident.
2. If a resident wishes to transfer he/she should contact the Program Director of the second program to find out if a vacancy exists and if the Program Director would be willing to consider the resident for a transfer.
3. The resident should be informed that the two Program Directors will be in contact with each other and the resident’s performance and other relevant information will be shared with the second Program Director.
4. The Program Director of the second program must speak with the resident’s current Program Director to ensure that the resident meets the requirements of the second program.
5. The second Program Director must receive the concurrence of the Executive Director of MCWAH prior to final acceptance of the resident and request that the resident be issued a contract for the second program.
6. The combined programs are considered distinct programs. When transferring from a combined program to one of the two individual programs participating in a combined program, the above rules will apply.
7. The Executive Director’s decision is final.
The original policy was approved on February 18, 2002 and the revised policy was approved by the MCWAH Graduate Medical Education Council on May 17, 2010.