Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, Inc.
PART-TIME HOUSESTAFF TRAINING
MCWAH's Graduate Medical Education (GME) Programs may consider requests from housestaff to do part-time training.
1. Upon receiving such a request in writing from the housestaff, the Program Director should decide if it is possible to accommodate the request.
2. If the Program Director supports the request, he/she should contact the Specialty Board and/or Residency Review Committee to obtain its policy regarding training that is less than full-time. Continuity clinics and other related issues will need to be considered.
3. The Program Director must notify the MCWAH Designated Institutional Official (DIO) & Executive Director as soon as possible of plans for any part-time housestaff and the expected duration of the part-time status.
4. Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) work percentage will be established for the entire period of the part-time training. The FTE cannot be less than 50%.
5. The stipend is pro-rated on the FTE.
6. MCWAH housestaff who work at least 30 hours per week and meet the other insurance plan certificate requirements are eligible for Group Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Long Term Care insurance benefits with the standard payroll deductions. Housestaff who are on a leave of absence are eligible for these benefits as outlined in the applicable leave of absence sections of the Handbook.
7. MCW employed housestaff must check with MCW regarding his/her stipend and benefits.
8. Housestaff who are in part-time training are not permitted to moonlight.
This revised policy was approved by the MCWAH Graduate Medical Education Council on July 18, 2011. The original policy was approved on November 18, 2002.