Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, Inc.
TEACHING OF MEDICAL STUDENTS BY HOUSESTAFF
Educating medical students is considered a professional responsibility of every MCWAH housestaff. Housestaff are expected to teach medical students, provide them with regular feedback and complete student evaluations in a timely manner.
In order to improve housestaff teaching and demonstrate achievement of relevant ACGME competencies, programs must:
1. Orient housestaff to the student course/clerkship/sub-internship learning objectives.
2. Provide housestaff with instruction in clinical teaching skills.
3. Provide housestaff with specific, constructive feedback on their teaching.
4. Regularly evaluate housestaff teaching.
5. Provide housestaff with medical student evaluation results, if available.
This revised policy was approved by the MCWAH Graduate Medical Education Committee on April 16, 2012. The original policy was approved on September 18, 2006. This policy replaces the Teaching of Medical Students by Residents and Fellows (Housestaff) policy approved September 18, 2006.