Anita D'Souza, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Anita D’Souza, MD is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology and Oncology. She completed medical school at the Goa Medical College in India where she graduated at the top of her class and was awarded Best Medical Graduate. She received the Zimmerman Award for outstanding clinical judgment, leadership and integrity during her internal medicine residency at William Beaumont Hospital in Michigan. Thereafter she did a fellowship in Hematology and Medical Oncology at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. She is pursuing a Master’s degree in Clinical and Translational Science at the Clinical and Translational Science Institute, and is in the Clinical Research Scholar’s Program. She also serves as a scientific director in the Plasma Cell Disorders and Adult Solid Tumors Working Committee in the Center for International Blood & Marrow Transplant Research (CIBMTR). Her clinical practice and research are focused on the plasma cell disorders (multiple myeloma, AL amyloidosis, POEMS syndrome, Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia) and the use of hematopoietic cell transplantation for the treatment of these diseases. Dr. D’Souza is board certified in Internal Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology.
Selected Recent Journal Publications/Original Papers
1. D'Souza A, Jaiyesimi I, Trainor L, Venuturumili P Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor administration: adverse events. Transfus Med Rev. 2008 Oct;22(4):280-90
2. D'Souza A, Hayman SR, Buadi F, Mauermann M, Lacy MQ, Gertz MA, Kyle RA, Kumar S, Greipp PR, Lust JA, Russell SJ, Zeldenrust S, Dingli D, Witzig TE, Rajkumar SV, Dispenzieri A The utility of plasma vascular endothelial growth factor levels in the diagnosis and follow-up of patients with POEMS syndrome. Blood. 2011 Oct 27;118(17):4663-5
3. D'Souza A, Lacy M, Gertz M, Kumar S, Buadi F, Hayman S, Dingli D, Zeldenrust S, Kyle R, Ansell S, Inwards D, Johnston P, Micallef I, Porrata L, Litzow M, Gastineau D, Hogan W, Dispenzieri A Long-term outcomes after autologous stem cell transplantation for patients with POEMS syndrome (osteosclerotic myeloma): a single-center experience. Blood. 2012 Jul 5;120(1):56-62.
4. D'Souza A, Theis JD, Vrana JA, Buadi F, Dispenzieri A, Dogan A Localized insulin-derived amyloidosis: a potential pitfall in the diagnosis of systemic amyloidosis by fat aspirate. Am J Hematol. 2012 Nov;87(11):E131-2
5. D'Souza A, Theis J, Quint P, Kyle R, Gertz M, Zeldenrust S, Vrana J, Dogan A, Dispenzieri A Exploring the amyloid proteome in immunoglobulin-derived lymph node amyloidosis using laser microdissection/tandem mass spectrometry. Am J Hematol. 2013 Apr 20:
6. D'Souza A, Ansell S, Reeder C, Gertz MA Waldenström macroglobulinaemia: the key questions. Br J Haematol. 2013 Aug;162(3):295-303.
7. O'Reilly A, D'Souza A, Lust J, Price D Localized tongue amyloidosis: a single institutional case series. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Aug;149(2):240-4.
8. Keyzner A, D'Souza A, Lacy M, Gertz M, Hayman S, Buadi F, Kumar S, Dingli D, Engebretson A, Tong C, Dispenzieri A Low Levels of Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist (IL-1RA) Predict Engraftment Syndrome after Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation in POEMS Syndrome and Other Plasma Cell Neoplasms. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013 Sep;19(9):1395-8
9. D'Souza A, Theis JD, Vrana JA, Dogan A. Pharmaceutical amyloidosis associated with subcutaneous insulin and enfuvirtide administration. Amyloid. 2014 Jan 22:
10. D’Souza A, Pasquini M, Spellecy R. Is ‘informed consent’ an ‘understood consent’ in hematopoietic cell transplantation? Bone Marrow Transplant 2014 (epub ahead of print).
Books, Chapters, and Reviews
1. D'Souza A, Gertz M. Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia. Expert Clinical Perspective on Diagnosis and Management of Cancer. Analysis of controversies and uncertainties in cancer.