The College understands the importance of keeping personal information private and secure. While the College does not transmit personal information via its public Site, users are urged not to provide personal information via e-mail because e-mail is not a secure method of communication.
The Site does not collect names or e-mail addresses unless voluntarily provided by the visitor. If you send e-mail with a question or comment, or fill out a Web-based form, that information will be used only to respond directly to you, unless otherwise stated. The request for information may be redirected to another part of the campus to better serve your request. Personal information will not be released, sold or given to outside parties, unless required by a court order, legal process or investigation conducted by a local or federal government agency.
Collection of Anonymous Information
As is standard practice with many sites, the Medical College of Wisconsin Site will record automatically certain information about a visitor to this Site, including:
* Name of the browser and type of computer (PC or Macintosh) used.
* Web page last visited before coming to this Site.
* Activity on this Site, including pages visited and data downloaded.
* Date, time and duration of the visit.
* Search engine keywords used to find this Site.
* Visitor's IP address – a series of numbers representing either your computer's network identification or that of your Internet access provider.
This information is collected to improve your experience on the College's Site, to analyze the value of materials on the Site and to assist system administrators. Such non-identifiable information is periodically reported in broad demographic formats to the College's administration and Board of Trustees. By using this Site you consent to the collection and use of this information by the Medical College of Wisconsin for the above-stated reasons.
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
In addition to automatic system-generated information, the College also collects and uses personally identifiable information in some instances. Personally identifiable information is information that tells specifically who an individual is. The College collects personal information in the following ways:
1. Most personally identifiable information is gathered when you register for courses via this Site. Participation in Web-based courses is password-protected and subject to specific user and privacy policies as stated on those Web pages. Personally identifiable information is also collected each time you e-mail the Site.
2. When you engage in certain activities on this Site, the College may ask you to provide certain information about yourself by filling out and submitting an online form. It is completely optional for you to engage in these activities. If you agree to engage in these activities, however, the College may ask you to provide personal information, such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone and fax numbers and other personal identifying information. Depending on the activity, some of the requested information is identified as mandatory and some as voluntary. If you choose not to provide the mandatory information necessary for a particular activity, you will not be able to engage in that activity.
3. We accept payment of certain fees by credit card via this Site. If you make a payment with a credit card, your name, credit card number and other payment information will be collected. Credit card transactions sent to us via this Site are encrypted for your protection. The College shares such information with companies that help process the transaction that you requested.
Your Web browser can be set to allow you to control whether you accept or reject cookies. It can also notify you each time a cookie is sent to you. If you choose to reject cookies, sites that are cookie-enabled will not recognize you when you return to those sites. As a result, site functionality may be lost.
The Medical College of Wisconsin does not sell or give private information away to any outside agencies, except as described in this policy. The College has security measures in place to attempt to protect against loss, misuse and alteration of your user data under our control. The College cannot guarantee that the loss, misuse or alteration to data will not occur; however, it makes reasonable efforts to prevent such occurrences.
Medical College of Wisconsin
Office of Public Affairs
P.O. Box 26509
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226-0509
Public Affairs Telephone
Public Affairs Fax