Annual MSTP Retreat
The MCW Medical Scientist Training Program Annual Retreat was held at the beautiful Lake Lawn Resort in Delavan, Wisconsin. This retreat is (1) a time for our students to relax together with select faculty and interact to address issues specific to the dual-degree trainee, (2) learn some science (of course), and last but not least (3) to socialize with fellow MSTP students.
We enjoyed three great speakers:
- Michael Frank, MD - "Getting your Preferred Residency: A Program Director's Perspective"
- Michael W. Lawlor, MD, PhD - "The Life and Times of an Aging Young Investigator: Application of MD and PhD Training to a Translational Science Career"
- Christina L. Runge, PhD - "A Journey in Academic Medicine"
We enjoyed four great Breakout Sessions:
- Joseph T. Barbieri, PhD - “What will research careers of the physician scientist be like in 2023?”
- Christina L. Runge, PhD - “How to deal with conflicts and make progress during your PhD training”
- Nita H. Salzman, MD, PhD - “How to deal with stress during dual-degree training”
- Gilbert C. White, II, MD - “Responding to reviewer’s critiques of an MSTP T32 renewal”
The retreat provides trainees with an opportunity to strengthen friendships while dealing with topics that are pertinent to their career planning. We are definitely looking forward to the next one!