Here is a list of articles for those interested in global health. Follow the link to the respective journal websites to obtain the full text articles. If you know of articles or other print materials that should be added, please email email@example.com.
Global Health Resources
Maternal Deaths Focus Harsh Light on Uganda, Half of the 340,000 deaths of women from pregnancy-related causes each year occur in Africa, almost all in anonymity. As the United States and other donors have given African nations billions of dollars to fight AIDS and other infectious diseases, helping millions of people survive, most of the African governments have reduced their own share of domestic spending devoted to health, shifting to other priorities.
A 2010 IOM report, Promoting Cardiovascular Health in the Developing World, found that not only is it possible to reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease and related chronic diseases in developing countries, but also that such a reduction will be critical to achieving global health and development goals.
- Costello, Anthony, Zumla, Alimuddin. Moving to research partnerships in developing countries. BMJ. 2000; 321(7264): 827–829.
- Crump, John A. MB, ChB, DTM&H; Sugarman, Jeremy, MD, MPH, MA. Ethical Considerations for Short-term Experiences by Trainees in Global Health. JAMA. 2008; 300(12): 1456-1458.
- Crump, John A. MB, ChB, DTM&H; Sugarman, Jeremy, MD, MPH, MA; and the Working Group on Ethics Guidelines for Global Health Training (WEIGHT). Global Health Training: Ethics and Best Practice Guidelines for Training Experiences in Global Health. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010; 83(6): 1178–1182.
- Drain, Paul K. MPH; Primack, Aron MD, MA; Hunt, D Dan MD, MBA; Fawzi, Wafaie W. MB, DrPH; Holmes, King K. MD, PhD; Gardner, Pierce MD. Global Health in Medical Education: A Call for More Training and Opportunities. Acad Med. 2007; 82: 226-230.
- Koplan, Jeffrey P., Bond, Christopher T., Merson, Michael H, Reddy, Srinath K., Rodriquez, Mario H., Sewankambo, Nelson K., Wasserheit, Judith N., for the Consortium of Universities for Global Health Executive Board. Towards a common definition of global health. The Lancet. 2009; 373(9679): 1993-1995.
- Steiner, Beat D. MD, MPH; Carlough, Martha MD, MPH; Dent, Georgette MD; Peña, Rodolfo MD, DrPH; Morgan, Douglas R. MD, MPH. International Crises and Global Health Electives: Lessons for Faculty and Institutions. Acad Med. 2010; 85: 1560–1563.
Stephen Hargarten, MD, MPH
Associate Dean for Global Health
Professor and Chair of Emergency Medicine
Director of the Injury Research Center
at the Medical College of Wisconsin
Tifany Frazer, MPH
Interim Program Coordinator