Faculty Bibliography - Recent Publications
1. Berry A, Brousseau DC, Brotanek JM, Tomany-Korman S, Flores G. Why do parents bring children to the emergency department for nonurgent conditions? A qualitative study. Ambul Pediatr 2008;8(6):360-367.
2. Brandow AM, Brousseau DC, Pajewski NM, Panepinto JA. Vaso-occlusive painful events in sickle cell disease: Impact on child well-being. Pediatr Blood Cancer (in press).
3. Brandow AM, Brousseau DC, Panepinto JA. Post-discharge pain, functional limitations, and impact on caregivers of children with sickle cell disease treated for painful events. Br J Haematol 2009;144(5):782-788.
4. Brotzman GL, Fay DL, Guse CE, Marbella AM , Schellhase KG. Physician perceptions of the effects of implementing an electronic medical record on primary care quality and productivity. Wis Med J 2009;Apr;108(2):99-103.
5. Brousseau DC, Mukonje T, Brandow AM, Nimmer M, Panepinto JA. Dissatisfaction with hospital care for children with sickle cell disease: not just race and chronic disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2009;53(2):174-178.
6. Carter KB, Poetker DM, Rhee JS. Sinus preservation management for frontal sinus fractures in the modern era: A systematic review. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr (in press).
7. Castellani C, Southern KW, Brownlee K, Dankert Roelse J, Duff A, Farrell MH, Mehta A, Munck A, Pollitt R, Sermet-Gaudelus I, Wilcken B, Accurso F, Ballmann M, Corbetta C, de Monestrol I, Farrell P, Feilcke M, Ferec C, Gartner S, Gaskin K, Hammermann J, Kashirskaya N, Loeber G, Macek Jr M, Mehta G, Reimann A, Rizzotti P, Sammon A, Sands D, Smyth A, Sontag M, Sommerburg O, Torresani T, Travert G, Vernooij A, Sheppard D, Elborn S. European Best Practice Guidelines for Cystic Fibrosis Neonatal Screening. J Cystic Fibrosis 2009;8:153-173.
8. Chen F, Zhang G, Cao Y, Hessner MJ, See WA. The MB49 murine urothelial Carcinoma:A molecular and phenotypic comparison to human cell lines as a model for studying the direct tumor response to BCG. J Urol 2009 (in press).
9. Christopher, SA. The relationship between nurses' religiosity and willingness to let patients control the conversation abut end-of-life care. Pat Educ Couns 2009 (in press)
10. Dillingham TR, Pezzin LE. The effect of post acute care setting on medical stability and mortality of persons with dysvascular amputations. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2008 (in press)
11. Drendel AL, Gorelick MH, Weisman SJ, Lyon R, Brousseau DC, Kim MK. A randomized clinical trial of ibuprofen versus acetaminophen with codeine for acute pediatric arm fracture pain. Ann Emerg Med 2009 (in press).
12. Farrell MH, Kuruvilla P, Eskra K, Christopher SA, Brienza RS. A method to quantify and compare clinicians' assessments of patient understanding during counseling of standardized patients. Patient Educ Couns 2009 (in press).
13. Fay DL, Schellhase K, Suresh G. Bilirubin screening in normal newborns--A critique of the hour-specific bilirubin nomogram. Pediatrics 2009 (in press).
14. Feldman PH, McDonald M, Mongoven J, Peng T, Gerber L, Pezzin LE. Home-based blood pressure interventions for African Americans. Circulation 2009 (in press)
15. Fletcher KE, Parekh V, Halasyamani L, Kaufman SR, Schapira MM, Ertl K, Saint S. Work hour rules and contributors to patient care mistakes: a focus group study with internal medicine residents. J Hosp Med 2008;3:228-37.
16. Friedland D, Cedeberg C, Tarima SS. Audiometric pattern as a predictor of cardiovascular status: Development of a model for assessment of risk. Laryngoscope 2009;119(3):473-86.
17. Garg T, Guralnick ML, Langenstroer P, See WA, Hieb RA, Rilling WS, Sudakoff SG, O’Connor RC. Resonance® metallic ureteral stents do not successfully treat ureteroenteric strictures in patients with ileal conduits. J Endourol 2009 (in press)
18. Grow JM, Christopher SA. Breaking the silence surrounding hepatitis C by promoting self-efficacy: Hepatitis C public service announcements. Qual Health Res 2008;18:1401-12.
19. Hanson T, Johnson W, Laud P. Semiparametric inference for survival models with step process covariates. Canad J Statist 2009;37(1):60-79.
20. Heffner V, Lyon V, Holland K, Brousseau DC, Yen K. Real-time teledermatology vs. in-person visits: A comparison in pediatric dermatology clinic. J Am Acad Dermatol 2009;60(6):956-961.
21. Jailwala P, Waukau J, Glisic S, Jana S, Ehlenbach S, Hessner M, Alemzadeh R, Matsuyama S, Laud P, Wang X, Ghosh S. Apoptosis of CD4+ CD25(high) T cells in type 1 diabetes may be partially mediated by IL-2 deprivation. PLoS One 2009;(8):e6527.
22. Lazarus HM, Kan F, Tarima S, Champlin RE, Confer DL, Frey N, Gee AP, Wagner JE, Horowitz MM, Eapen M. Rapid transport and infusion of hematopoietic cells is associated with improved outcome after myeloablative therapy and unrelated donor transplant. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2009;(15)5:589-596
23. Horan J, Carreras J, Tarima S, Camitta BM, Gale RP, Hale GA, Hinterberger W, Marsh J, Passweg JR, Walters MC, Eapen M. Risk factors affecting outcome of second HLA-matched sibling donor transplants for graft failure in severe acquired aplastic anemia. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2009;(15)5:626-631
24. Kam J, Panepinto JA, Brandow AM, Brousseau DC. Parental perception of quality of hospital care for children with sickle cell disease. Wis Med J 2008;107(3):131-135.
25. Li R, See WA. SmgGDS is unregulated in prostate carcinoma and promotes tumor phenotypes in prostate cancer cells. J Pathol 2009;217:389.97.
26. McDonald M, Pezzin LE, Peng T, Feldman P. Understanding the complexity of hypertensive African American home care patients: Challenges to intervention . Race Ethn (in press)
27. McMullin BT, Rhee JS, Pintar FA, Szabo A, Yoganandan N. Facial fractures in motor vehicle collisions: Epidemiological trends and risk factors. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2009;11:165-170.
28. Miller ML, Wang MC. Accuracy of ICD-9-CM coding of cervical spine fractures: Implications for research using administrative databases. Annu Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med 2008;52:101-105.
29. Nattinger AB, Pezzin LE, Sparapani RA, Neuner JM, King TK, Laud PW. Evaluation of a method for sample identification and recruitment of breast cancer survivors in the HIPAA era. Am J Epidemiol 2009 (Revisions requested)
30. Nattinger AB, Restrepo JA, Pezzin LE, Durgerian S, Malkin MG, Rao SM. A controlled study of cognitive performance among breast cancer survivors treated with aromatase inhibitors: Neuropsychological and functional MRI testing. J Clin Oncol 2009 (Revisions requested)
31. Neff DA, See WA. Laparoscopic mesh herniorrhaphy: Impact on outcomes associated with radical retropubic prostatectomy. Urol Oncol 2009 (in press).
32. Neuner JM, Sparapani RA, Laud PW, Nattinger AB, Schapira MM. Adoption and disparities in adoption of bone density testing for female US medicare recipients. Med Care 2009 (in review)
33. Pezzin LE, O'Niel M, Nattinger AB. The economic consequences of alternative breast cancer adjuvant hormonal treatments. J Gen Int Med 2009 (in press).
34. Pezzin LE, Pollak R, Schone B. Long-term care of the disabled elderly: do children increase caregiving by spouses? Rev Econ Household 2009 (in press).
35. Pezzin LE, Pollak R, Schone B. Marital history, family structure, and transfers to the elderly. J Gerontol Soc Sci 2009 (in press) .
36. Rebella GS, Edwards JO, Greene JJ, Husen M, Brousseau DC. A prospective study of injury patterns in high school pole vaulters. Am J Sports Med 2008;36 (5):913-920.
37. Schapira MM, Walker CM, Sedivy SK. Evaluating existing measures of health numeracy using item response theory. Patient Educ Couns 2009:75:308-314.
38. See WA, Garg T. Bladder neck contracture following radical retropubic prostatectomy utilizing an intussuscepted vesicouretheral anastomosis: Incidence with long term follow up. BJU Int 2009 (in press).
39. See WA, Zhang G, Chen F, Cao Y, Langenstroer P, Sandlow J. BCG induces caspase-independent cell death in urothelial carcinoma cells together with release of the necrosis-associated chemokine HMGB1. BJU Int 2009 (in press).
40. Sharma G, Fletcher KE, Zhang D, Kuo Y, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Continuity of outpatient and inpatient care by primary care physicians for hospitalized older adults. JAMA 2009;301:1671-1680.
41. Shemirani NL, Rhee JS, Chiu AM. Nasal airway obstruction: allergy and otolaryngology perspectives. Ann Allergy Immunol 2008;101:593-598.
42. Sudakoff GS, See WA. Multidetector CT urography as the primary imaging modality for detecting urinary tract neoplasms in patients with asymptomatic hematuria. J Urol 2008;179(3):862-7.
43. Tarima S. Missing data Part II: Adjusting for MAR-weighting approaches. Datum 2008;14(2):3-6, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
44. Tarima SS, Dmitriev YG. Statistical estimation with possibly incorrect model assumptions. Vestnik of Tomsk State University: Control, Computing, Informatics 2009;3(8). (accepted)
45. Tarima S, Liu XC. Missing data: Part III: Adjusting for data missing at random via multiple imputation. Datum, 2008;14(3), 3-5, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
46. Wang MC, Pintar F, Yoganandan N, Maiman DJ. The continued burden of spine fractures after motor vehicle crashes. J Neurosurg Spine 2009;10:86-92 (with invited editorial, response, and press release).
47. Whittle J, Schectman G, Lu N, Baar B, Mayo-Smith MF. Relationship of scheduling interval to missed and cancelled clinic appointments. J Ambulatory Care Manage 2008;31:290–302 (in press).
48. Yen TW, Fan X, Sparapani R, Laud PW, Walker AP, Nattinger AB. A contemporary, population-based study of lymphedema risk factors in older women with breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2009;6(4):979-88 (with invited editorial).
49. Yen TW, Wang TS, Doffek KM, Krzywda EA, Wilson SD. Reoperative parathyroidectomy: an algorithm for imaging and intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring which results in a successful focused approach. Surgery 2008;144:611-621.
50. Yen TW. Use of tamoxifen after breast surgery for ductal carcinoma in situ. Am J Hematol/Oncol 2008;7:23-25.
51. Young S, Fink A, Geiger S, Marbella A, Mast, A, Schellhase K. Community blood donors knowledge of anemia and design of a literacy appropriate educational intervention. Transfusion 2009 (in press).
52. Braza D, Dillingham T. Upper limb amputations. In: Frontera W, Silver J, Rizzo T, eds. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed., Saunders/ Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. 2008;593-598.
53. Charlson J. Acute Leukemias. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
54. Charlson J. Myeloproliferative Disorders. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
55. Charlson J. Anemias. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
56. Charlson J. Anemia of Chronic Disease. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
57. Charlson J. Multiple Myeloma. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
58. Charlson J. Lymphomas. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
59. Charlson J. Breast Cancer. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
60. Charlson J. Lung Cancer. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
61. Cogbill E, Wood CA, Burns EA. Mastectomy. In: Encyclopedia of Aging and Public Health. Eds: Loue S, Sajatovic M. Springer Publishing, New York, NY, 2008.
62. Layde PM, Meurer LN, Guse CE, Yang H, Laud PW, Meurer JR, Grube J, Brasel K J, Hargarten S. Confidential Performance Feedback and Organizational Capacity Building to Improve Hospital Patient Safety: Results of a Randomized Trial. Pp 1-12. In: Henriksen K, Battles JB, Keyes MA, Grady ML, editors. Advances in patient safety: New directions and alternative approaches. Vol. 2. Culture and Redesign. AHRQ Publication No. 08-0034-2. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; August 2008.
63. Rhee JS. Section Editor, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. In: J.B. Snow Jr., P.A. Wackym (eds.), Ballenger’s Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 17th Edition. People’s Medical Publishing House USA, Ltd., Shelton, CT. 2009;627-757.
64. Singh S. Obstructive Sleep Apnea. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds), Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
65. Singh S. Pleural Effusions. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds), Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
66. Singh S. Pneumothorax. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds), Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
67. Singh S. Venous Thromboembolic Disease. In: Kochar’s Clinical Medicine for Students. Torre D (eds) Wolters Kluwer/Lippicott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia/Baltimore. 2009 (5th edition).
68. Wang-Cheng R, Nattinger AB. Menopausal hormone therapy: benefits, risks, and regimens. In: Ryden, Blumenthal (eds). Practical Gynecology: A Guide for the Primary Care Physician (2nd edition): American College of Physicians, Philadelphia. 2009.
69. Whittle J. Hypertension. In: Kochar's Clinical Medicine for Students. 5th Ed. Torre DM, Lamb GC, Van Ruizwik, J, Schapira RM, Kochar MS. (Eds.). Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2008;761-77.
70. Wood CA, Cogbill E, Burns EA. Mammograms. In: Encyclopedia of Aging and Public Health. Eds: Loue S, Sajatovic M. Springer Publishing, New York, NY, 2008.
71. Yen TW, Lorek JD, Basir Z. Nonepithelial Neoplasms of the Breast. In: Kuerer, HM (ed), Kuerer’s Breast Surgical Oncology (1st edition), McGraw-Hill, New York (in press).
72. Benae JL, Ellingson B, Kurpad S, Kocak M, Wang MC. Diffusion Tensor MR Imaging in Degenerative Cervical Stenosis. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, October 24-29, 2009.
73. Brousseau DC, Panepinto JA, Owens P, Mosso A, Steiner C. Acute Care Visits in Sickle Cell Disease: A Population-Based Multi-State Study. Blood 112(11) 165a, November 16, 2008. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology, San Francisco, CA, December, 2008.
74. Burns EA, Whittle J, Knudson P, Tarima S, Wessel B, Dye B, Flax S, Pleuss J, Strub C, Wiesczorek K, Leventhal H. Teaching Patients With Poorly Controlled T2DM To Develop Expertise In Self-Management With Home Technology. Society of Behavioral Medicine 2009 Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, April 22-25, 2009.
75. Dillingham TR, Pezzin LE, Whittle J, Sohn M. Guideline Adherence in Electrodiagnostic Evaluation of Low Back Pain. American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine 2008 Annual Meeting, Providence, Rhode Island, September 17-20, 2008. Muscle Nerve 2008;38(4):1350-1403.
76. Eapen M, Kan F, Tarima S, Champlin R, Confer D, Frey N, Giralt S, Wagner J, Horowitz M, Lazarus H. Delays in transport of haematopoietic stem cells from unrelated donors may adversely affect haematopoietic recovery and survival. Bone Marrow Transplant 2008;41 (Supl 1):S339.
77. Farrell MH, Christopher SA, Ladouceur LK, The Brief Standardized Communication Assessment: A Patient Simulation Method Feasible for Population-Scale Use in Communication Quality Assurance. Poster presentation at American Academy on Communication in Healthcare, 2008 Annual Meeting, Madison, WI, October 17-19, 2008.
78. Iverson P, McLeod D, Wirth M, See WA, Morris T; The CASODEX EPC program – 10 years of follow up; 27th Congress of the Scandinavian Association of Urology, June, 2009, Reykjavik, Iceland.
79. Neuner J, Nattinger AB, Schapira M. Association of Physician and Physician Panel Characteristics With Bone Density Testing. Society of General Internal Medicine Midwest Regional Meeting, Chicago, IL, September 25-26, 2008.
80. Neuner J, Nattinger AB. Fractures Among a Cohort of Breast Cancer Patients. Oral presentation at Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting, Miami, FL, May 13-15, 2009.
81. Singh S, Fletcher KE, Schapira MM, Tarima S, Biblo L, Conti M, Whittle J. A Comparison of General Medical Inpatient Care Provided by a Hospitalist-Physician Assistant Model With a Traditional Resident, Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting, Miami, FL, May 13-15, 2009
82. Schapira MM, Fletcher KE, Ganschow P, Jacobs EA, Schauer C, Del Pozo S. The Meaning of Numbers in Health: Exploring Health Numeracy in A Hispanic Population. Presented at Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting, Miami, FL, May 13-15, 2009.
83. Self K, Girgis D, Jackson S, Tarima S, McGinley E, Abena A, Okunseri CE. Perceived Need for Dental Care Among Homeless Persons in America. International Association of Dental Research, Miami, FL, April 1, 2009.
84. Strath, SJ, Swartz AM, Tarima SS, Gennuso KP, Miller NE, Grimm EK, Cieslik LJ. Dose Response Walking and Physical Function in Older Adults. Med Science Sports Exerc 2009;41:S477.
85. Tarima SS, Eastwood D, Xiang K, Maguire A. The Use of Hierarchical Weighted Least Squares for Multi-Source Parameter Estimation: Analysis of Wisconsin Unemployment Data. 12th CDC/ATSDR Symposium on Statistical Methods, Decatur, GA, April 2009.
86. Yen T, Guo C, Sparapani R, Laud P, Walker A, Nattinger A. A Body Mass Index is Not a Risk Factor for Lymphedema in Older Breast Cancer Women. Poster presentation at American Society of Breast Surgeons 10th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, April 2009.
87. Sparapani RA. Generalized linear mixed models in health services research with large data banks: A Bayesian implementation. Submitted to the Faculty of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences of the Medical College of Wisconsin in Partial fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Milwaukee, WI; July 2011.