EmailEmail    |   Bookmark Page Bookmark  |   RSS Feeds RSS  |   Print Page Print  

What approvals do I need to work with controlled substances?

For conducting research on narcotic and non-narcotic controlled substances in Schedules II-IV, DEA form #225 (pdf) is submitted with the following information required:

  1. Investigator - Name, address, institution, state license, and a qualifications statement including a curriculum vita with bibliography for each investigator in the research project.

  2. Project - Title, statement of purpose, controlled substance name, amount needed, location of research, security statement and a technical description of the substance use.

  3. Form #225A is used to renew this registration.

In addition to the Federal license, MCW researchers must obtain a State of Wisconsin Special Use Authorization permit.  Directions can be found at the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services Checklist for Researchers (pdf).  Additional information is available at their web site Controlled Substances Special Use Authorization.

Contact Public Safety

Phone: 414-955-8274

Fax: 414-456-6557


The Controlled Substances Coordinator is located in the Public Safety Administrative offices in the Medical Education Building, M0740

Site Map  |  Tour  |  Home
© 2014 Medical College of Wisconsin
Page Updated 05/02/2014