Academic & Medical RSO Group
AMRSO is an email mailing list (listserv) for the discussion of topics relating to radiation safety at academic/research and medical institutions. Originally started in 1996 by Andrew Karam at the University of Rochester, the list is now operated by the Medical College of Wisconsin. List membership is currently comprised of over 400 members on 4 continents.
AMRSO is a private list; members may only join by sending a request to Kimberly Knight-Wiegert. List membership is restricted to academic/research/medical radiation safety professionals. Vendors and regulators are not allowed to join AMRSO.
- List Address
Messages sent by members to the list address (firstname.lastname@example.org) are posted automatically to the full list. Only list members may send or receive messages and access the archives.
- AMRSO was started as an alternative forum to RADSAFE; please keep your questions, messages and responses to professional topics and avoid personal opinions or controversial comments. Topics such as LNT or global warming are best left for RADSAFE.
- Please respect the privacy of your fellow list contributors - if you forward a message outside of AMRSO, remove all identifying information from it first.
- Friday Topics - the one exception to the above is the Friday Topic. If you have a weird story or experience, or something amusing relating to radiation safety, please post it with a "Friday Topic" subject line.
- Archives, Digest and other options
Click here for the AMRSO List Info page.
Currently, AMRSO Archives are available to members only (password required) at the following link: AMRSO Archives.
Archives are stored in a monthly folder and may be viewed by thread, subject, author or date. Text searches of the Archives may be done by using your web browser's Find or Search commands.
Mail Delivery Options
To access your member control panel, click here.
Digest - In your user control panel, set Digest Mode to On.
Disable Mail Delivery - If you plan to be out, you can disable AMRSO mail delivery temporarily without unsubscribing from the list. (This avoids spamming the list with 'Out of Office' messages.) Set your Mail Delivery to Disabled.
Your AMRSO password is assigned randomly by the list server. You will be sent a reminder on the first of each month. If you have trouble remembering your password, it can be changed to something of your choice.
Password reminder emails are often filtered by Microsoft Outlook or your institutions spam filters (see the section on ERRORS above), so check to make sure you are receiving your monthly reminder.
Because AMRSO is an automated system, some errors occur. Some common types are listed below:
- Not receiving email - Because of aggressive spam filtering, check with your IT department. AMRSO messages arrive from an address called 'amrso-bounces' which may get accidentally filtered out or put into a 'Junk Mail' folder. Check with your IT department to see if AMRSO can be "white-listed."
- Can't post to the list - Frequently, the email address you are given by your institution is different from the actual email address that the listserv software receives it from. This is called an 'alias.' AMRSO will only accept message posts from your real email address. If you are having problems posting, send an email to Kimberly