Beth B. Krippendorf, PhD
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology & Anatomy
Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226-0509
Phone: (414) 955-4602
FAX: (414) 955-6517
PhD, Medical College of Wisconsin, 1993
Research area: Medical Education
Dr. Krippendorf joined the Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy in 1995 to advance the teaching mission of the college. Dr. Krippendorf’s educational goal is to help medical students obtain basic knowledge of anatomy and neuroscience as a foundation for understanding disease processes and ultimately for applying treatments that ensure quality patient care. She teaches extensively in the M1 Clinical Human Anatomy course, providing numerous presentations in the Head and Neck unit and assistance in every laboratory session. Dr. Krippendorf was the Laboratory Director for the Cell and Tissue Biology course from 1998 to 2007. During that time, she also directed the laboratory for the Medical Neuroscience course. In 2008, Dr. Krippendorf was appointed Course Director for the M1 Medical Neuroscience course. Under her leadership, course evaluation ratings dramatically improved as did student performance on USMLE step 1.
Dr. Krippendorf is a member of the American Association of Clinical Anatomists and the International Association of Medical Science Educators.
Dr. Krippendorf has received numerous awards for excellence in teaching.
• MCW Student Assembly Standing Ovation Award – in recognition of excellence in service to MCW students (2001, 2008);s Certificates of Recognition (2002, 2007, 2010)
• Outstanding Medical Student Teacher at MCW – nominated by course directors (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012)
• The Harry Beckman Basic Science Teaching Award – selected by the senior class to the faculty member in recognition for teaching excellence (2004, 2008, 2013)
• Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – in recognition of gifted teaching by newly elected student members of the MCW Beta chapter (2009)
• MCW Society of Teaching Scholars – in recognition of teaching excellence and outstanding contributions as an educational scholar and leader (2010)
Krippendorf, B.B. and Lough, J.: A complete and rapid switch from light microscopy to virtual microscopy for teaching histology. Anat Rec (Part B: New Anat) 285B: 19-25, 2005
Krippendorf, B.B., Bolender, D. L., Kolesari, G.L.: Computerized Grading of Anatomy Laboratory Practical Examinations. Anat Sci Ed 1(5):220-223, 2008