Medical Scientist Training Program

EmailEmail    |   Bookmark Page Bookmark  |   RSS Feeds RSS  |   Print Page Print  

About the Medical College

History
Located in the western suburbs of Milwaukee, the Medical College of Wisconsin has been educating the future physicians of America for over a century. The College was founded in 1893 as the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1913, the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons merged with the Milwaukee Medical College to form Marquette University School of Medicine. In 1967, the medical school separated from Marquette University to become a free-standing institution, subsequently named the Medical College of Wisconsin. In 1978, the College moved to its present location in suburban Milwaukee, on the campus of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center.

Mission
The Medical College of Wisconsin is dedicated to the ideals of:

Education - Teaching the physicians and scientists of tomorrow while enhancing the skills of today's health professionals.
Research - Creating new knowledge in basic and clinical sciences through biomedical, behavioral and health service research.
Patient Care - Caring humanely and expertly for patients and providing leadership in health services.
Service - Forging local, regional, national and global partnerships in education, health care and research for the betterment of human health.


Medical Education
Every August, 200 students from around the world begin their medical education at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Under the guidance of the MCW faculty (over 900 MD's and PhD's), these students will be trained in the basic sciences and clinical skills of modern medicine. Through the Medical College's affiliations with Froedtert Hospital, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, the Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex, Zablocki VA Medical Center, as well as many other hospitals and institutions throughout Southeastern Wisconsin, students are given the opportunity to learn from a broad patient population in a variety of settings.

Milwaukee Regional Medical Center Campus
The Medical College is one of the eight organizations providing patient care on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center campus. These clinics, hospitals and institutions are staffed by the full-time faculty physicians of the Medical College.

Curative Rehabilitation Center
Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division


Growth and Expansion
Over the past 5 years, the Medical College of Wisconsin and the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center have been one of the fastest growing medical centers in the country. These campus expansions include: 

   1.  The recently completed Translational and Biomedical Research Center and Children's Research Institute, built as a collaborative effort between the Medical College of Wisconsin and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. This building is primarily dedicated to cancer, cardiovascular disease, genetics, and neuroscience research. This new facility provides approximately 200,000 square feet of additional research space and 50,000 square feet of vivarium space for housing mice and rats.  

   2.  The Blood Research Institute, recently expanded by 35,000 square feet to accommodate the organization's rapidly growing research programs in transfusion medicine, immunobiology, hematopoiesis/cancer biology, thrombosis, hemostasis, and vascular biology.

   3.  A 5,400 square foot Biophysics EPR/MR Facility which houses two new MRI imaging systems and an EPR spectrometer.

   4.  The recently completed Sargeant Health Center, which includes an ambulatory surgical facility as well as internal medicine clinics. 

   5.  Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, which was recently expanded through construction of a 240,000 square foot, eight level office building and a 1,600-space parking structure.  Construction of a 12-story, 425,000 square foot expansion of the main hospital facility is now underway, with completion anticipated in spring of 2009.  This project will provide expanded bed capacity, additional intensive care units, and specialized clinics.

   6.  The new Froedtert Cancer Pavilion, scheduled to open in the spring of 2008.  This new facility will provide 280,000 square feet on four floors to support the multidisciplinary delivery of treatment for all types of cancer.  The Pavilion will include clinics, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, clinical research, and support services such as dietary, social services, and an education center.

webmaster@mcw.edu
© 2014 Medical College of Wisconsin
Page Updated 09/22/2010