MPH Program Textbooks
Students are responsible for obtaining copies of required books for their courses in the Master of Public Health Degree Programs. You may acquire textbooks from local university bookstores, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Matthews MCW Bookstore, 414-955-8566, etc.
Course textbooks have not been updated for the Spring 2015 term.
Students are advised not to purchase books far in advance of enrollment as texts are frequently published in new editions or courses are revised to newer, more current texts.
18200 Environmental Health
- Friis, Robert. Essentials of Environmental Health, 2nd edition. Jones and Bartlett. 2012. ISBN-13: 978-0-763-77890-3, contains an access code for the companion website.
18201 Principles of Epidemiology
- Gordis, Leon, Epidemiology. Text with Internet Access Code for Student Consult Edition. 5th Edition. Elsevier/Saunders, Inc. December 2013. ISBN-10: 1-455-73733-X ISBN-13: 9781455737338.
- Williams, PL, James RC, and Roberts SM, Principles of Toxicology: Environmental and Industrial Applications, 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2000. ISBN-10: 0-471-29321-0.
18203 Public Health Administration
- Shi, Leiyu and Johnson, James. Public Health Administration: Principles of Population-based Management. 3rd Edition, 2014. ISBN-13: 978-1-4496-8833-2.
- Pagano M and Gauvreau K. Principles of Biostatistics. 2nd edition. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole, 2000. ISBN-10: 0-534-22902-6.
Computer software for Biostatistics (Required):
Information regarding the required computer software will be provided in the course syllabus, which will be available in early January. Statistical software used in the course is best suited for PCs running Windows, not Macs. It is highly recommended that you purchase and install the software as soon as possible so that any technical difficulties encountered can be dealt with promptly.
18208 Health Care Management: Finance
- Finkler, Steven A. Finance and Accounting for Nonfinancial Managers. 3rd edition. New York: Aspen Publishers, Inc., 2003 ISBN 10: 0735546045 ($20)
- Gapenski, L. and Pink, GH. Understanding Health Care Financial Management, 6th edition. Health Administration Press, 2011. ISBN-13: 978-1-567-93362-8. The casebook is not needed.
18209 Community Health Assessment and Improvement
- Turnock, B.J. Public Health: What it is and How it Works, 5th edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett, 2011.
ISBN 10: 1-4496-0024-2.
- The Future of the Public's Health in the 21st Century, Institute of Medicine, 2003 (optional purchase).
18212 Behavioral Science and Public Health
- Sarafino, E. and Smith, T. Health Psychology: Biopsychosocial Interactions. 8th Edition. J. Wiley & Sons, 2014. ISBN-13: 978-1-118-42520-6.
18215 Infectious Diseases
- Heymann, David, (ed.) Control of Communicable Diseases Manual. 19th Edition. American Public Health Association, 2008. ISBN-10: 0-875-53190-3. ISBN-13: 978-0-875-53190-8.
- Dicker, Richard, MD, MSc. Principles of Epidemiology in Public Health Practice. 3rd Edition. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - CDC. Text can be purchased from the http://www.PHF.org bookstore or can be downloaded or read on-line from http://www.CDC.gov.
18218 Racial and Ethnic Inequalities in Health
- LaVeist, T, and Isaac, L.A., Race, Ethnicity & Health: A Public Health Reader. 2nd Edition. Jossey-Bass, 2013. ISBN-13: 978-1-118-04908-2.
18219 Introduction to Global Health
- William Markle, Understanding Global Health, 2nd ed. McGraw Hill Professional Publishing 2013. ISBN-13: 978-0-071-79100-7.
- Levine, R. Case Studies in Global Health: Millions Saved. Jones and Bartlett, 2007. ISBN-13: 978-0-763-74620-9.
18221 Public Health Law
- Website: Richards, E. Public Health Law Map. http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/map/index.htm
- Hodge, JG. Public Health Law in a Nutshell. West Academic Publishing, 2014. ISBN-13: 978-0-314-28884-4.
- Gostin, LO. Public Health Law and Ethics: A Reader (2nd edition). University of California Press, 2010. ISBN-13: 978-0-520-26192-1.
18230 Community Health Program Planning
- Bryson, JM. Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations (4th edition). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011. ISBN-13: 978-0-470-39251-5.
- Issel, LM. Health Program Planning and Evaluation: A Practical, Systematic Approach for Community Health, 3rd edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2014. . ISBN 10: 1-284-02104-1; ISBN 13: 978-1-2840-2104-2.
18241 Health Communication
- No texts are required.
18243 Performance Management and Quality Improvement
- Tews D, Heany J, Jones J, VanDerMoere R, and Madamala K. Embracing Quality in Public Health: A Practitioner’s Quality Improvement Guidebook. 2nd Edition. January 2012 which can be found here - https://www.mphiaccredandqi.org/qi-guidebook/
18250 Ethical Issues in Public Health
- Gostin, L. Public Health Law: Power, Duty & Restraint. 2nd edition. University of California Press: Berkeley, 2008. ISBN-10: 0-520-25376-0.
18254 Challenges in Maternal & Child Health
- Kotch, Jonathan, MD, MPH. Maternal & Child Health Programs, Problems and Policy in Public Health, 3rd edition. 2012. ISBN-13: 978-1449611590
18258 Advanced Epidemiologic Methods
- Rivara, FP, Cummings, P, Koepsell, TD, Grossman, DC, and Maier, RV. Injury Control: A Guide to Research and Program Evaluation. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge 2008. ISBN-13: 978-0-521-10024-3.
18260 Community Health Program Evaluation
- Issel, LM. Health Program Planning and Evaluation: A Practical, Systematic Approach for Community Health, 3rd edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2013. ISBN 10: 0-7637-5334-03; ISBN-13: 978-1-2840-2104-2.
- Rossi, PH, Lipsey, MW and Freeman HE. (2004). Evaluation: A Systematic Approach (7th edition). Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc. ISBN 10: 0-7619-0894-3.
18280 MPH Field Placement
- Course materials available online at http://www.mcw.edu/mphprogram/CulminatingExperiences/FieldPlacement.htm
18297 MPH Capstone Project
- Course materials available online at http://www.mcw.edu/mphprogram/CulminatingExperiences/CapstoneProject.htm