MPH Program Textbooks
Students are responsible for obtaining copies of required books for their courses in the Master of Public Health Degree Programs. You may acquire textbooks from local university bookstores, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.
Course Textbooks are updated for the Summer 2013 term.
Students are advised not to purchase books far in advance of enrollment as texts are frequently published in new editions or courses are revised to newer, more current texts.
18200 Environmental Health
- Friis, Robert. Essentials of Environmental Health, 2nd edition. Jones and Bartlett. 2010. ISBN-13: 9780763778903. ($79.95) ISBN-13: 9781284026337 contains an access code for the companion website.
18201 Principles of Epidemiology
- Gordis, Leon, Epidemiology. Text with Internet Access Code for Student Consult Edition. 4th Edition. Elsevier/Saunders, Inc. 5/2008. ($56.) ISBN: 1416040021 ISBN-13: 9781416040026
- Williams, PL, James RC, and Roberts SM, Principles of Toxicology: Environmental and Industrial Applications, 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2000. ISBN 0-471-29321-0. ($146)
18203 Public Health Administration
- Novick, LF, Morrow, CB, and Mays, GP, Public Health Administration: Principles of Population-based Management. 2nd Edition, 2007. ISBN: 0763738425. ($100.95).
- Pagano M and Gauvreau K. Principles of Biostatistics. 2nd edition. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole, 2000. ISBN 0-534-22902-6. ($138).
Computer software for PC Windows (Required):
Information regarding the required computer software will be provided in the course syllabus, which will be available in early January.
Processor: PC with 1 GHz 32-or 64-bit processor
Memory: 512 MB or more of available RAM
Disk Space: 125 MB free space available
Operating System: MS Windows 2000, XP, or Vista
Display: A display capable of 1024x768 or higher resolution
Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher
It is highly recommended that you purchase and install the software as soon as possible so that any technical difficulties encountered can be dealt with as soon as possible.
Additional Biostatistics Reference Texts (Optional):
- TDV Swinscow, revised version by MJ Campbell. Statistics at Square One, available free on the internet at http://bmj.com/collections/statsbk BMJ Publishing Group, 1997. Revised versions also available for purchase.
- Douglas G. Altman. Practical Statistics for Medical Research. New York, NY: Chapman and Hall, 1991.
- Martin Bland. An Introduction to Medical Statistics, 3nd edition (ISBN 019-26-32698). New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Beth Dawson-Saunders and Robert G. Trapp. Basic and Clinical Biostatistics, 4th edition (ISBN 0-8385-0510-4). Norwalk, Con. Appleton and Lange, 2004.
18205 Practice of Occupational Health
- LaDou. Current Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 4th edition, McGraw Hill Co., 2007 ISBN 0071443134. ($67.95).
18206 Practice of Public Health
- Turnock, BJ. Public Health: What It Is and How It Works. Fourth Edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett, 2009. ISBN 10: 0-7637-5444-7 ($82.99).
- Scutchfield, FD, Keck, CW. Principles of Public Health Practice. Third Edition. Albany, NY: Thomson Delmar Learning, 2009. ISBN 10: 1418067253 ($48.24).
18208 Health Care Management: Finance
- Finkler, Steven A. Finance and Accounting for Nonfinancial Managers. 3rd edition. New York: Aspen Publishers, Inc., 2003 ISBN: 0735546045 ($20)
- Gapenski, L. and Pink, GH. Understanding Health Care Financial Management, 6th edition. Health Administration Press, 2011. ISBN-13: 978-1567933628. The casebook is not needed. ($115)
18209 Community Health Assessment and Improvement
- Turnock, B.J. Public Health: What it is and How it Works, 4th edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett, 2009. ISBN 10: 0763754447. (82.99)
- The Future of the Public's Health in the 21st Century, Institute of Medicine, 2003.
18212 Behavioral Science and Public Health
- Sarafino, E. and Smith, T. Health Psychology: Biopsychosocial Interactions. 7th Edition. J. Wiley & Sons, 2011. ISBN: 0470646984. ISBN 13: 9780470646984. ($132.95)
18213 Clinical Prevention
- Course materials available online. Most required readings can be found at http://www.ahrq.gov and http://www.thecommunityguide.org.
See course syllabus for details.
18214 Organizational Behavior and Design
- Gordon, Judith R, Organizational Behavior: A Diagnostic Approach, 7th edition, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2002. ISBN: 0130328472. ($126.67) Check out amazon.com to find this text.
18215 Infectious Diseases
- Heymann, David, (ed.) Control of Communicable Diseases Manual. 19th Edition. American Public Health Association, 2008. ISBN: 0875531903. ISBN-13: 9780875531908. ($45)
- Dicker, Richard, MD, MSc. Principles of Epidemiology in Public Health Practice. 3rd Edition. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - CDC. Text can be purchased from the http://www.PHF.org bookstore ($58) or can be downloaded or read on-line from http://www.CDC.gov.
18218 Racial and Ethnic Inequalities in Health
- LaVeist, T, and Isaac, L.A., Race, Ethnicity & Health: A Public Health Reader. 2nd Edition. Jossey-Bass, 2013. ISBN 978-1-118-04908-2. ($69)
18220 Occupational Health Law
- Website: Richards E. Public Health Law Map. http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/map/index.htm
18222 Health Care Law
- Furrow, BR, Greaney, TL, Johnson, SH, Jost, TS, and Schwartz, RL. Health Law: Cases, Materials and Problems, 6th edition. St. Paul. West Group, 2008. ISBN 9-780-314184740. ($145.00). For West Group's direct order, call 1.800.328.9352.
- Gifis, SH. Law Dictionary. 5th Edition. Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 2003. ISBN 0-7641-1997-4. (Available directly from Barron's at 1.800.645.3476.) ($13.95)
18221 Public Health Law
- Grad, FP. Public Health Law Manual. 3rd Edition. American Public Health Association, 2005. ISBN 0875530427. ($39.50)
- Website: Richards, E. Public Health Law Map. http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/map/index.htm
18230 Community Health Program Planning
- Bryson, JM. Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations (4th edition). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011. ISBN 978-0-470-39251-5
- Issel, LM. Health Program Planning and Evaluation: A Practical, Systematic Approach for Community Health, 2nd edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2009. ISBN: 0763753343. (78.95)
18250 Balancing Harms and Individual vs Community Interests: Ethical Issues in Public Health
- Gostin, L. Public Health Law: Power, Duty & Restraint. 2nd edition. University of California Press: Berkeley, 2008. ISBN 0-520-25376-0. ($40.35)
18254 Challenges in Maternal & Child Health
- Kotch, Jonathan, MD, MPH. Maternal & Child Health Programs, Problems and Policy in Public Health, 3rd edition. 2012. ISBN-10 1449611591. ISBN-13 978-1449611590 ($75)
18258 Advanced Epidemiologic Methods
- Koepsell, T and Weiss, N. Epidemiologic Methods, Studying the Occurrence of Illness. Oxford University Press, 2003. ISBN 0195150783. ($63)
18260 Community Health Program Evaluation
- Issel, LM. Health Program Planning and Evaluation: A Practical, Systematic Approach for Community Health (2nd edition). Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers. ISBN 10: 0-7637-5334-03.
- Rossi, PH, Lipsey, MW and Freeman HE. (2004). Evaluation: A Systematic Approach (7th edition). Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-7619-0894-3.
18280 MPH Field Placement
- Course materials available online at http://www.mcw.edu/mphprogram/CulminatingExperiences/FieldPlacement.htm
18297 MPH Capstone Project
- Course materials available online at http://www.mcw.edu/mphprogram/CulminatingExperiences/CapstoneProject.htm