Medical College of Wisconsin Med-Peds Residents have the benefit of working in a very diverse environment. Residents spend the majority of their inpatient time rotating through one of the four main teaching hospitals: Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Froedtert Hospital, the Zablocki Veteran's Administration Hospital, and Wheaton Franciscan's St. Joseph Campus. Each hospital provides a unique experience which enhances the overall educational aspects of each clinical rotation.
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Located on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center Grounds, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (CHW) is one of the leading centers for pediatric health care in the United States. The hospital provides inpatient care, including transport of critically ill or injured children and intensive care services, and more than 70 specialty outpatient clinics that care for the full range of pediatric health care needs.
- 296 beds, 72 ICU beds, 40 bed NICU
- Level 1 trauma center
- 24,207 admissions in 2012. Approx. 60,000 ER visits/year
- Parents magazine ranked Children's Hospital of Wisconsin No. 4 in the nation. In addition, six specialty programs were ranked in the top 10, including preemie and newborn care No. 1, emergency care No. 3, orthopedic care No. 6, heart care No. 7, pulmonary care No. 8 and cancer care No. 9.
- Details at www.chw.org
Located on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center Grounds, Froedtert Hospital is the only Level 1 Adult Trauma Center in Southeastern Wisconsin.
- More than 1,000 physicians who practice at Froedtert Hospital are Medical College of Wisconsin faculty members
- US News & World Report's annual Best Hospitals list ranks Froedtert Hospital #1 in metropolitan Milwaukee and #2 in Wisconsin, and among the nation's top 50 hospitals in four specialties. The recognition places these programs among the top three percent in the country
- Level 1 trauma center; 500 staffed inpatient beds
- 27,610 admissions in 2012
- 733,395 outpatient clinic visits annually
- Details at www.froedtert.com
Zablocki Veteran's Administration Hospital
The Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center is located on 125 acres on the western edge of Milwaukee, 6 miles southeast of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center Grounds. The Medical Center delivers primary, secondary, and tertiary medical care in 168 care acute operating beds and provides over 500,000 visits annually through an extensive outpatient program.
- Regional tertiary care center for VA system
- Staffed exclusively by Medical College of Wisconsin physicians
- Nursing home care unit of 113 beds offers geriatric programming
- 356 domiciliary beds for substance abuse rehabilitation, psychiatric rehabilitation and post traumatic stress disorder care
- Newly remodeled/updated primary care clinics and wards
- National VA electronic medical record/online order system
Wheaton Franciscan St. Joseph's Campus
Wheaton Franciscan St. Joseph's Campus began when three Franciscan Sisters arrived on a mission to provide nursing care to Milwaukee in 1879. Today, the St. Joseph Campus is an academic, referral, tertiary level care facility providing acute and subacute care for their licensed 538-bed hospital in the heart of Milwaukee.