Medical College of Wisconsin Med-Peds Residents have the benefit of working in a very diverse environment. Residents spend the majority of their inpatient time rotating through one of the four main teaching hospitals: Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Froedtert Hospital, the Zablocki Veteran's Administration Hospital, and Wheaton Franciscan's St. Joseph Campus. Each hospital provides a unique experience which enhances the overall educational aspects of each clinical rotation.
Located on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center Grounds, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (CHW) is one of the leading centers for pediatric health care in the United States. The hospital provides inpatient care, including transport of critically ill or injured children and intensive care services, and more than 70 specialty outpatient clinics that care for the full range of pediatric health care needs.
- 306 beds, 72 ICU beds, 40 bed NICU
- Level 1 trauma center
- 23,490 admissions in 2015. Approx. 66,000 ER visits/year
- Children’s ranked in nine specialties included in U.S. News & World Report’s 2015-16 Best Children’s Hospitals report
- 186 Children’s physicians are listed on the 2014 Best Doctors in America® List
- Children's is designated a Magnet hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, a national honor that recognizes nursing excellence
Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Froedtert Hospital, the primary adult teaching affiliate for the Medical College of Wisconsin, is a 516-bed academic medical center that delivers advanced medical care. Froedtert Hospital is nationally recognized for exceptional physicians and nurses, research leadership, specialty expertise and state-of-the-art treatments and technology. It serves as an eastern Wisconsin referral center for advanced medical practice care in 37 specialties and is a major training facility with more than 1,000 medical, nursing and health technical students in training.
In partnership with the Medical College, it is also a respected research facility with more than 2,000 research studies, including clinical trials, conducted every year. Froedtert Hospital operates the region’s only adult Level I Trauma Center. Froedtert Hospital is located on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center campus. Campus partners are the BloodCenter of Wisconsin, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Curative Care Network, the Medical College of Wisconsin, and the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division.
- For the 3rd year in a row, Froedtert Hospital & MCW has been recognized in 2015 as one of the nation's Top 100 Hospitals and one of the top 15 major teaching hospitals by Truven Health Analytics.
- In U.S. News & World Report, Froedtert Hospital ranks nationally in six specialties: endocrinology, otolaryngology, gastroenterology, nephrology, pulmonolgy and urology.
- For the 3rd time, Froedtert Hospital received the prestigious Magnet designation for nursing excellence by demonstrating superior quality in nursing care. Only 6.7% of 6,000 health care organizations have achieved Magnet designation.
- 27,176 admissions in 2015
- 762,977 outpatient clinic visits annually
The Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center is located on 125 acres on the western edge of Milwaukee, 6 miles southeast of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center Grounds. The Medical Center delivers primary, secondary, and tertiary medical care in 168 care acute operating beds and provides over 500,000 visits annually through an extensive outpatient program.
- Regional tertiary care center for VA system
- Staffed exclusively by Medical College of Wisconsin physicians
- Nursing home care unit of 113 beds offers geriatric programming
- 356 domiciliary beds for substance abuse rehabilitation, psychiatric rehabilitation and post traumatic stress disorder care
- Newly remodeled/updated primary care clinics and wards
- National VA electronic medical record/online order system
Wheaton Franciscan St. Joseph's Campus began when three Franciscan Sisters arrived on a mission to provide nursing care to Milwaukee in 1879. Today, the St. Joseph Campus is an academic, referral, tertiary level care facility providing acute and subacute care for their licensed 538-bed hospital in the heart of Milwaukee.
- Second largest private hospital in Milwaukee
- Primary community teaching hospital
- Approximately 80,000 ER/year