The Medical College of Wisconsin
The Medical College of Wisconsin is a private, independent institution committed to the training of graduate students in the basic and medical sciences. The Medical College originated as part of Marquette University School of Medicine in 1913. In 1967, the medical school was separated from the university and became the Medical College of Wisconsin. In 1978, MCW relocated to a new teaching and research complex in suburban Milwaukee, on the grounds of the Medical Center of Southeastern Wisconsin. In addition to MCW, this 240-acre campus includes the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, the MCW Eye Institute, Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, the Cardiovascular Research Center (CVRC), Center for Human Genetics, the Blood Center of Southeastern Wisconsin, and the Cancer Center of the Medical College of Wisconsin. MCW consists of over 868 full-time faculty members, including over 120 who hold primary appointments in the six basic science departments. Extramural research grants and contracts awarded to the MCW faculty were approximately $73 million during 1999. Research at MCW utilized the most advanced technologies. These investigations are assisted by several core laboratories on campus, including the protein-nucleic acid share facility, an adenoviral core facility, an electron microscopy core, bioinformatics center and cell sorting core, the Milwaukee Regional Center for Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopy, and the National Biomedical Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (ESR) Center.