Dr. Hijjawi was raised in Chicago and graduated from the University of Chicago School of Medicine. He immediately entered the Integrated Plastic Surgery Program at Northwestern University of Chicago where he trained for seven years under the guidance of Dr. Thomas Mustoe.
As an Integrated Plastic Surgery Resident, Dr. Hijjawi gained significant experience with breast reconstruction, facial plastic surgery, rhinoplasty and reconstructive microsurgery. At Northwestern, Dr. Hijjawi was responsible for an independent Chief Resident Cosmetic Surgery Clinic and served as Chief Resident at the Shriner’s Hospital for Children focusing on facial reconstruction.
In 2004 Dr. Hijjawi was honored with both the Chicago Society for Plastic Surgery First Place Award for Outstanding Plastic Surgery Research and the Northwestern University Department of Surgery Edelstone-Bendix First Place Award for research. Both awards recognized work done under Dr. Thomas Mustoe.
Dr. Hijjawi’s eighth year of training was as a Fellow in Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery at the Mayo Clinic, after which he joined the Faculty at the Medical College of Wisconsin. In 2006, Dr. Hijjawi was honored with the Kroll Fellowship, allowing him to study DIEP Flap breast reconstruction in Belgium with one of the technique's originators, Dr. Phillip Blondeel. Dr. Hijjawi is one of fewer than five American surgeons honored with the Kroll Fellowship.
Providing the highest level of care while maintaining communication and compassion for his patients remains Dr. Hijjawi’s primary goal as a Plastic Surgeon.
Education / Training
- Doctor of Medicine - University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine - IL (1997)
- Residency in General Surgery - Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine - Chicago, IL (1997-2000)
- Residency in Plastic Surgery - Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine - Chicago, IL (2001-2004)
- Clinical Instructor in Plastic Surgery - Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine - Chicago, IL (2003-2004)
- Special Fellow in Division of Hand & Microsurgery - Mayo Clinic - Rochester, MN (2004-2005)
- Kroll Fellow in Microsurgery/DIEP Flaps - University of Ghent - Belgium (2006-2007)