Postdoctoral Education

EmailEmail    |   Bookmark Page Bookmark  |   RSS Feeds RSS  |   Print Page Print  

Life in the United States

Government Offices

Social Security Office

Obtaining a Social Security Number

In order to be paid in the United States you need to have a Social Security Number. The Medical College cannot add you as an employee or issue a pay check without a Social Security Number. If you are going to be receiving funds from the College you will want to get one as soon as possible.


Once you have arrived in the United States, go to the nearest Social Security Office. To apply, take your passport and I-94 card, your work authorization (i.e. your IAP-66, I-20, or H-1B approval) and your welcome letter confirming your employment. Please let your department administrator know your Social Security Number as soon as you have it.

Once you have applied it will take approximately one to two weeks for the card to be issued and mailed to you, however you may be able to get your new number within 3 working days by calling the office you applied at. Applications are available online via the Social Security Administration or from the Employment Office at the Medical College of Wisconsin.


The following are Social Security Offices in the Milwaukee area. Offices are open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  • Milwaukee Downtown
    310 W. Wisconsin Avenue
    Suite 260
    Milwaukee, WI 53203
    (414) 297-1790
  • Milwaukee West
    5020 W. North Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53208
  • Milwaukee South
    6251 W. Forest Home Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53220
    (414) 546-1402
  • Milwaukee North
    6300 W. Fon du Lac Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53218
    (414) 463-2621
  • Mitchell Street Area
    1763 S. 9th Street, 5th Floor
    Milwaukee, WI 53204
    (414) 649-4760
  • Waukesha
    707 N. Grand Avenue
    Suite 100
    Waukesha, WI 53186
    (262) 542-7253

-Note that individuals with J-2 status are not eligible for a Social Security number until they have received their Employment Authorization Card from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Wisconsin Department of Transportation

To find DMV locations, go the website, click on Drivers and Vehicles, and then click on DMV service centers.

  • An out-of-state U.S. citizen must go to the DMV within 30 days of living in Wisconsin, or else they will have to take their drivers test over again.
  • Non-U.S. Citizens should get a state ID if they are not getting a drivers license so that they don't have to carry their passport.

United States Postal Service (USPS)

To find US Post Offices, go to the USPS website and click on "Find Locations".


For More Information: All government agencies are listed in the phone book in the "blue section."
© 2015 Medical College of Wisconsin
Page Updated 09/05/2012