Distinguishing Features of Our Program
· An on-call system of reasonable frequency with no overnight call in the PGY 1 psychiatry rotations.
· The Medical College of Wisconsin is also home to fellowships in Child and Adolescent, Geriatrics,
Forensics, Psychosomatics, and Addictions.
· Three month blocks in the PGY 1 year permits, at most, only three consecutive months away
· Neurology rotations are split between the PGY 1 and PGY 4 years to allow an introduction to neurology
and a review prior to ABPN boards
· One month of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry during the PGY 1 year allows for early exposure for
those interested in or eager to learn more about the field.
· The Experiential Group offers PGY 1 residents a supportive forum to develop class cohesiveness
and draw from mutual experiences.
· Psychiatric Crisis Service (PCS) is a unique psychiatric emergency room setting at the Milwaukee County
Behavioral Health Division where residents learn to effectively manage high acuity patients and
· Four months of required medicine rotations include one month Family Medicine, one month
Emergency Medicine, one month Internal Medicine, and one month Outpatient Medicine.
· Faculty includes psychoanalysts and experts in cognitive and behavioral therapy (CBT) as part of
our unique separate psychotherapy training program.
· Elective research opportunities in a department that is ranked 22nd nationally among medical school
psychiatry departments receiving NIMH funding.
· Starting outpatient rotations in the second year allows residents to treat outpatients continuously over
· Maximum of nine months of required adult inpatient rotations frees much of the PGY IV year for electives.
· Multiplicity of training sites, including a Veterans Affairs Medical Center, County mental health facility, and
private hospitals offers access to diverse patient populations and a well-rounded training experience
preparing residents for any career.
· Access to the Chairman and senior faculty through journal clubs and seminars.
· Opportunity to teach medical students on clinical rotations and didactics
· Opportunity to work at Healthcare for the Homeless.