Lane closures around campus during the week of Nov. 25
Nov. 22, 2013 College News - Below is a list of lane closures around campus the week of Nov. 25, 2013. All road work is subject to change because of weather and other unforeseen circumstances.
Additional information about the Zoo interchange project and its impact on MCW and the campus can be found on the College’s Zoo interchange Web page.
Milwaukee Regional Medical Center remains accessible from all directions the week of Nov. 25. Only long-term road closures will be in effect Thursday – Sunday during the Thanksgiving holiday.
Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, shuttle bus service will not operate on Thursday, November 28th or Friday, November 29th.
• Try one of the new Alternative Transportation Program options! Staff shuttles are now running to/from State Fair Park & Ride and Burleigh Street Park & Ride. For more information go to: www.mrmccampus.org/alternate-transportation
• OPEN! Discovery Parkway provides a good option for travelers arriving/departing via US45 (Use Discovery Pkwy, Swan Blvd and North Ave) or through Wauwatosa.
• Ronald McDonald Pedestrian Bridge project. Be aware of increased noise and vibration from pile driving activities on 89th Street. This access road has only one lane available, now with cement barrier blocks installed for safety, which further narrow the roadway. Please refrain from using it for through traffic. It remains open for delivery and emergency vehicles.
• Bus Stops: Ongoing utility work on Watertown Plank Road will cause bus stops to temporarily relocate over the next couple of months. Milwaukee County Transit will install royal blue feather flags as indicators of the current bus stop locations.
Watertown Plank Road Access:
• Rescheduled: Beginning December 2nd, all traffic on Watertown Plank Road between 87th Street and Discovery Parkway will be switched to the eastbound lanes. One lane of traffic will be available in each direction.
• Behavioral Health Access: 97th Street at Behavioral Health is now closed long term. 95th Street will be open for access to parking areas.
• Increased utility work continues to reduce Watertown Plank Road traffic to one lane of traffic in each direction, 24/7, between 92nd Street and 87th Street.
o Recommended route: Wisconsin Avenue on the south side of campus offers construction-free access to/from US45.
• Watertown Plank Rd entrance ramp to US45 northbound is closed now through 2014.
o DETOUR OPTIONS:
1. Wisconsin Avenue to US45 north;
2. Watertown Plank Rd west to Hwy 100 north to North Ave. onramp to US45;
3. Discovery Parkway to Swan Blvd to North Ave. onramp to US45.
Travel from the North:
• OPEN: Discovery Parkway provides another option for travelers from the north. North Avenue and Swan Boulevard provide access to US45 or downtown Wauwatosa.
• The Swan Boulevard southbound detour remains at Underwood Parkway. Swan Boulevard will reopen in its final configuration by mid-December!
Travel from the South:
• REOPENED! Cleveland Avenue bridge over I894/US45 reopens by Thursday morning.
• The Greenfield Avenue entrance ramp to I894/US45 NB and the National Avenue entrance ramp to I894/US45 SB will close overnight on Tuesday.
• Watch your lanes! Please be mindful of the traffic signals, signs and lane markings on Wisconsin Avenue from US 45 through the 87th Street intersection.
• CLOSURE: The 84th Street entrance ramps to I-94 eastbound and westbound are closed now through late spring 2014. The I94 exit ramp onto 84th Street will remain open and accessible for campus travel.
o DETOURS: I94 eastbound: Use the 68th Street I-94 eastbound entrance ramp; I94 westbound: Take Wisconsin Avenue to the US 45 south entrance ramp.
Travel from the East:
• Monday – Tuesday: Watertown Plank Road eastbound at Hwy 100 will have one lane closed during the day for pavement marking work.
Travel from the West:
• CLOSURE - 84th Street ramp: I94 eastbound exit ramp to 84th Street closes on November 26th through the spring.
• New! A new I94 eastbound exit ramp opens at 76th Street. North/south access available on 76th Street at the exit ramp.
• RESEARCH PARK ACCESS: Watertown Plank Road west of US45 will have a lane closed during the day on Tuesday.
• Monday – Tuesday: To pave a traffic crossover, the following closures will be in effect overnight: Hwy 100 entrance ramps to I94 eastbound and westbound; I94 eastbound and westbound double lane closures at Hwy 100; Zoo Interchange north-to-west and south-to-west ramps; Wisconsin Avenue entrance ramp to US45 southbound.
• REOPEN! Underwood Creek Parkway northbound and southbound from Watertown Plank Road to Swan Boulevard has reopened.
• LONG-TERM CLOSURE: The I-94 eastbound and westbound exit ramps to Hwy 100 northbound are now closed through 2014. Additional restrictions coming in December (see Look Ahead below)
DETOUR: From the west: Take Moorland Road to Bluemound Road east; then north on 97th Street to Wisconsin. Eastbound: Take US45 to Wisconsin Avenue.
• REOPENS! Swan Boulevard reopens between Watertown Plank Road and Discovery Parkway in its final configuration.
• REOPENS! Hwy 100 expected to fully open in its final configuration from Watertown Plank Road through Bluemound Road.
• Hwy 100 bridge work over I94 begins which includes:
o Closure of the eastbound entrance ramp and the westbound exit to southbound HWY 100.
o A traffic switch to the southbound Hwy 100 bridge over I94. Two lanes will be available in each direction. (Crossover will be located just before the westbound on-ramp)
o Northbound bridge demo would commence shortly after traffic switch.
o DETOURS: Research Park and Tosa Center access:
From the west: I94 to Moorland Road north, then Bluemound Road east to north Hwy 100.
From the north: US45 south to Watertown Plank Road west will remain available until July 2014 but the return to US 45 north must be via Hwy 100 north to North Avenue.
From the south: Use US 45 to Wisconsin Avenue to Hwy 100
From the east: US45 north to Wisconsin Avenue east; but the preferred return route is Bluemound Road to 68th Street south to I94 east.
o DETOURS: Milwaukee Regional Medical Center access:
From the west: I94 to Moorland Road north, then Bluemound Road east to north Hwy 100 to Wisconsin Avenue.
From the south: Use US 45 north to Wisconsin Avenue east.
January 6, 2014:
• Full closure of Watertown Plank Road under US45, from Innovation Drive to Discovery Parkway;
• Watertown Plank Road on-ramp to US45 southbound closes;
• The US45 northbound off-ramp to Watertown Plank Road will close.
• Open to Research Park: US45 southbound exit to westbound Watertown Plank Road will remain available until Summer 2014.