Crime Prevention Tips
· Walk or jog with a friend, not alone.
· Avoid isolated areas.
· Use safety escort services.
· Know your limits on dates and communicate them to your partner.
· Know your limits with alcohol and do not accept drinks from others.
· Carry a whistle or noise maker. Do not be afraid to scream if you need help.
· Tell a friend where you are going and when you will return.
Protection from Date Rape Drugs
· Never leave your drink unattended. Date rape drugs can be slipped into any type of beverage.
· Do not accept drinks from anyone but a bartender or server.
· Try to attend bars/parties with friends, arranging beforehand to watch each other’s drinks.
· If you think your drink has been tampered with, seek medical attention immediately and request the hospital conduct toxicology testing.
· Lock your residence whenever you leave and when you are sleeping.
· Call the police to report someone who does not belong in your building.
· Do not allow strangers to follow you into the building.
· Keep personal items (purses, book bags) locked up.
· Secure your work area when you are not there.
· Do not prop card reader doors open or otherwise attempt to bypass security devices.
· Report suspicious people or activity to Public Safety.
Protecting Your Property
· Record the serial numbers of your valuables.
· Engrave valuables with your license number or other identifying information.
· Secure bicycles with a U-Lock device.
· Keep your vehicle locked when it is parked and when you drive.
· Consider installing anti-theft or alarm devices on your vehicle.
· Do not leave textbooks, purses, or book bags unattended.
· Do not leave laptop computers or PDAs unattended.
· Lost or stolen cards should be reported to Public Safety at 955.8471.
· Carry your access card with you at all times and display the card for identification.
· Do not loan your card to anyone and do not allow others to “tailgate” behind you when entering secure areas.