Reporting a Crime or Emergency

MCW constituents are required to accurately and promptly report any criminal offense or suspected criminal activity directly to Public Safety. When the victim of a crime elects to report said crime, it is MCW Policy that these crimes be reported to Public Safety, who can then assist in coordinating with local law enforcement and emergency services. If the victim of a crime is unable to make such a report, their supervisor, co-worker, friend or family member may do so on their behalf.

Assistance for emergencies requiring police, fire, and emergency medical services can be reached by dialing 9-911 from any campus phone. However, immediately after calling 9-911, Public Safety must be notified at (414) 955-8299. For non-emergency calls to Public Safety, dial (414) 955-8295.  

Crimes should be reported to MCW Public Safety to ensure inclusion in the annual crime statistics and to aid in providing timely warning notices to the community, when appropriate.

In response to reported incidents, Public Safety works closely with the full range of City and County emergency resources to assure a complete and timely response to calls. Priority response is given to crimes against persons and personal injuries. Special services include a timely investigative response, as well as the availability of local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies in providing support and assistance. When appropriate, notification will be made to the Medical School, Graduate School, or Human Resources/Title IX Coordinator for review of potential judicial or disciplinary action.

Campus Counselors

As a result of the 1998 amendments to 20 U.S.C Section 1092 (f), clarification was given to those considered to be campus security authorities.  Campus “Pastoral Counselors” and Campus “Professional Counselors,” when acting as such are not considered to be a campus security authority and are not required to report crimes for inclusion in the annual disclosure of crime statistics.

A Professional Counselor is defined as an employee of an institution whose official responsibilities include providing psychological counseling to members of the institution’s community and who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification.

Staff in MCW’s Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine serve as Professional Counselors for the student population and are encouraged, if they deem it appropriate, to inform persons being counseled of the procedures to report crimes to Public Safety on a voluntary basis for inclusion into the annual crime statistics. 

MCW employees may also utilize MCW’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for counseling services.  The EAP may refer employees to MCW’s Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine for assistance.  MCW has no pastoral counselors.

Student Housing

The Medical College of Wisconsin campus does not include housing facilities. MCW does not maintain residential facilities of any type, either on or at non-campus locations. No officially recognized MCW student organization maintains any on or non-campus housing facility.

Contact Us

Public Safety Center
Health Research Center, Room H1820
Emergency: (414) 955-8299 | Non-Emergency: (414) 955-8295

Access and Parking Service Center
Health Research Center, Room H1860
(414) 955-8471

Central Administration
Medical Education Building, Room M0740
(414) 955-8424 | Fax: (414) 456-6557

Public Safety Site Map

MCW Facebook  MCW Twitter

Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
(414) 955-8296
Directions & Maps
© 2016

Page Updated 07/06/2016