Division of Surgical Education
INVITED LECTURESHIPS/VISITING PROFESSORS
THE JONATHAN B. TOWNE VISITING PROFESSOR
Jonathan B. Towne, MD., Professor and Chief Emeritus for the Department of Vascular Surgery retired June 30, 2007 after more than 30 years at The Medical College of Wisconsin. To perpetually commemorate his dedicated years of surgical academic and professional leadership, the Department of Surgery is proud to honor him through a named visiting professorship. The Jonathan T. Towne Visiting Professorship has been established to bring leading experts and educators involved in the multidisciplinary care for vascular disease to The Medical College of Wisconsin. Dr. Towne dedicated his career to inspiring and educating students and physicians whose interests lie in healing through education and collaboration.
Dr. Towne joined the faculty in 1975 as Chief of the Vascular Surgery Section at the College and Director of Vascular Surgery Service at the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center. In 1981, he was appointed Director of Vascular Surgery Service at John L. Doyne Hospital. For more than 20 years, he has served as Chief of the Division of Vascular Surgery.
Prior to coming to the Medical College, Dr. Towne completed his general surgery residency at the University of Nebraska; served as the Chief of General Surgery in the United States Air Force at the USAF Hospital on Vandenberg Air Force Base; and completed his vascular surgery fellowship at Baylor University Medical Center.
Dr. Towne has earned numerous honors from the College and his students, including the Medical College's Distinguished Service Award and Surgery's Teacher of the Year Award.
Dr. Towne has served in leadership positions on many local, regional and national committees, societies and other professional organizations. He has served as the President of the Central Surgical Association from 2002 to 2003; as the President of the Society of Vascular Surgery from 1999-2000; and is currently on the Board of Directors for the American Board of Surgery.
Dr. Towne helped develop a multidisciplinary model of care for vascular disease at the College, Froedtert Hospital and the Zablocki VA Medical Center requiring a high level of cooperation between Vascular Surgery and Interventional Radiology through commitment, education and collaboration forever changing the treatment of vascular disease.
THE C. MORRISON SCHROEDER MEMORIAL LECTURESHIP
Morrison Schroeder was born on July 11th, 1908 in Dixon, Illinois. Shortly after, his family moved to Racine, Wisconsin where he graduated from Racine High School in 1926. He attended the University of Wisconsin, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in 1931. He then went on to attend medical school at Washington University, graduating with an MD in 1933. As so often happened in that era of surgical training, he trained at several different hospitals including a rotating internship at the Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia, from January 1, 1934 to December 31, 1935. He then took a surgical internship at Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee from November 1936 to June of 1937. He spent six months at the Presbyterian Hospital in San Juan, Puerto Rico and finished his surgical residency at the Louisville City Hospital in 1939.
He served in the army from 1940-1946. Rumor has it that he thought physicians were not worthy of automatic rank, so he went in as an enlisted man. However, he was soon promoted to the rank of an officer. He entered private practice in 1946 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where he was an attending at Columbia Hospital, Milwaukee County General Hospital, St. Luke's Hospital, and the Veterans Administration Hospital. It was at the latter institution that he spent considerable amount of time as a consultant running his surgical service. Every surgical resident at the old Marquette (later to become The Medical College of Wisconsin) surgical service rotated through Dr. Schroeder's service. He was a tough and demanding teacher whose interest was in the best care for the patient, as well as making sure that the young men he trained got the very best he could offer. He had strict criteria, holding the senior resident responsible for any and all activities on his service. Although the rotation was difficult and the men who trained under him may have disliked his rigidity, they are all grateful for his teaching. He is often commended as one of the shining lights in their surgical education.
His effort in the general community of surgery was in the ethical practice of surgery. He became a member of Wisconsin Surgical Society and sat on their ethics committee. As one of the senior members of the present Milwaukee surgical community relates, during ethics committee meetings, if you did not go along with Dr. Schroeder's opinion you spent lengthy hours in discussion as he persuaded you the right way of thinking. Wherever the Wisconsin Surgical Club went in the United States, surgeons knew and respected him.
THE EDWIN H. ELLISON MEMORIAL LECTURESHIP
From 1958 to 1969 Edwin H. Ellison, MD, was a Professor and Chairman of the Division of Surgery of the Medical College of Wisconsin, then Marquette School of Medicine. He was an excellent teacher and surgical scientist. His untimely death in 1970 prompted his friends and colleagues to seek a means of perpetuating the Ellison legacy. The Edwin H. Ellison Memorial Lectureship has been established to bring leading educators in general surgery to the Medical College on a regular basis.
Dr. Ellison received his surgical training at Ohio State University College of Medicine under the tutelage of Robert M. Zollinger, MD. Dr. Ellison served on the Ohio State University faculty form 1944 to 1957. He moved to Milwaukee in 1958. During the next eleven years, his major effort was the development of a full time department of surgery for the Medical College of Wisconsin. He was immensely successful and the department's academic reputation soared.
Under his leadership, the faculty made significant contributions to the field of gastrointestinal surgery. These efforts stemmed from Dr. Ellison's earlier work at Ohio State and the discovery with Dr. Zollinger of a disease entity with a pathophysiological interaction between islet cell tumors of the pancreas and the stomach, now widely known as the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Dr. Ellison saw the need for an interdisciplinary research facility and in 1961 the Allen-Bradley Medical Science Laboratory was established for the faculty on the grounds of the Milwaukee County Medical Complex. The Allen-Bradley facility is in keeping with the concept of the Medical Center of Southeastern Wisconsin for comprehensive programs of teaching, research, and patient care.
Dr. Ellison was a well-known leader in organized medicine, and served on the editorial boards of prestigious journals. He contributed 161 papers to scientific literature, and shortly before he died had compiled illustrative material for "Ellison's Atlas of Surgery of the Stomach and Duodenum".
His contributions take on more honors with time; his inspiration is hopefully embodied in the Edwin H. Ellison Memorial Lectureship.
THE MILTON A. LUNDA TRAUMA VISITING PROFESSOR
Milton A. Lunda of the Lunda Construction Company, aware of the effects of trauma on his family, his community, and the employees of his construction company who work in several states, felt the need to promote trauma awareness and care. Working with the American Trauma Society, he commissioned a recognition award and a Visiting Professorship. The award is presented to organizations, agencies and individuals that demonstrate their commitment to improving emergency medicine by giving of their time, talent, and resources. The Lunda Trauma Visiting Professorship is presented at CLINIC DAY to promote research and continuing education.
THE CARL W. EBERBACH MEMORIAL LECTURESHIP
Dr. Carl Eberbach arrived in Milwaukee in 1928, having moved here from his ancestral home in Ann Arbor, Michigan. At the University of Michigan Medical School he had been an Associate Professor of Surgery and was Acting Dean of the Medical School under Dr. Hugh Cabot, one of the pioneers in Urology in this country.
Dr. Eberbach's early beginnings were in the field of Urology, in which he was a substantial contributor to the medical literature in the 1920's. He wrote on many aspects of genitourinary surgery, especially in the field of congenital anomalies. His monograph on renal tuberculosis was considered an outstanding work. His later years in Ann Arbor, however, were in the field of General Surgery, and it was in this capacity that he took up his new work in Milwaukee at the age of 37.
His leaning toward academic medicine was strong, and he maintained a vital interest in our medical school throughout his professional life in Milwaukee. He was Chairman of the Department of Surgery for eight years before the arrival of Dr. Edwin Ellison in 1958, and was instrumental in bringing Dr. Ellison here from Ohio State University.
Dr. Eberbach regarded himself as a clinical surgeon, and his self-appraisal is reflected in his writings, principally in the fields of biliary tract surgery and in the management of breast cancer.
THE MARVIN GLICKLICH LECTURESHIP
The Glicklich Lectureship was created to honor Dr. Marvin Glicklich, who established pediatric surgery as a specialty in Milwaukee and founded the pediatric general surgery program at Children’s Hospital and the Medical College of Wisconsin. His contributions reflect a commitment to the clinical care of infants and children with surgical problems and to the training of surgeons and other health care professionals in this discipline.
Return to top