Epidemiology Data Resource Center (EDRC)
The Epidemiology Data Resource Center (EDRC) is the Medical College of Wisconsin's (MCW) centralized resource for secondary health and demographic data. The EDRC also provides assistance in the use of spatial data and geographic information systems, or GIS.
The EDRC offers a range of services including:
- Providing summary statistics
- Preparing data set extracts
- Lending data management and preparation expertise
- Assistance with long-term secondary data research projects
- Mapping and other GIS services
Since opening its doors in 1994 (as the Epidemiology Data Service Center), the EDRC has provided data assistance to faculty, staff, and graduate and medical student researchers in epidemiology, health services, health policy, and other related disciplines. Visit our Selected Publications page to see a sampling of MCW research projects that have utilized the data and services of the EDRC.
The mission of the EDRC is twofold,
- To help Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) researchers locate, acquire, and use secondary data
- To help foster the use of geographic information system (GIS) technology by health researchers
The EDRC has been a member of the National Center for Health Statistics' Electronic Data Dissemination Program, and also maintains ties with other national, state, local, and private health agencies. Many of these databases are now available online and the EDRC can help guide you to the data you are interested in.
Our current list of available secondary data includes topics such as health behaviors, vital events, ambulatory care, inpatient care, long-term care, and medical expenditures. The collection also contains demographic data from the U. S. Census Bureau and spatial data, such as county boundaries, from various sources.