Non-Profit FAQs

Proposal Preparation

Open AllClose All
  1. How do I add a sponsor to the pick list on page I of the eBridge Funding Proposal module? What about subcontractors on page T?

If the name of your sponsor does not appear in the pick list in question 1.0 or 2.0 on page I of the eBridge Funding Proposal, you will need to request that your sponsor be added in Oracle.  New sponsor information is validated by the Controller’s Office, set up in Oracle, and will then be made available for you to select within eBridge.  To request a new sponsor, go to the eBridge Add New Sponsor page, complete the online form and click ‘submit.’  You will need the following pieces of information to complete the form:  legal name of sponsor, tax ID, mailing address, and sponsor financial contact name, telephone number and email address.

If you are completing page T, question 6.1 of the eBridge Budget and your subcontractor does not appear in the pick list, you will need to request that your subcontractor be added as a supplier in Oracle.  New suppliers/subcontractors are validated by Accounts Payable, set up within Oracle, and are then made available for you to select within eBridge.  To request a new subcontractor, go to the eBridge Add New Supplier page, complete the online form and click ‘submit.’ You will need the following pieces of information to complete the form: legal name of subcontractor, general description of what they will be providing, tax ID, mailing address, and subcontractor financial contact name, telephone number and email address.

  2. A sponsor requests additional MCW documentation or forms be submitted with my application. Where can I find MCW’s Form W-9, most recent financial audit report, Tax Exempt Letter (501c3), or IRS Form 990?

Sponsors frequently request additional documentation in support of a grant application to verify an applicant’s non-profit or audit status. Below is a listing of where or how to commonly requested forms and documents.  If looking for a form that is not included below, please contact GCO for assistance.

Form W-9:  A PDF copy of MCW’s Form W-9 or Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification is available via Infoscope on the Controller’s website by clicking on InfoScope and following Finance & Admin>Accounting & Financial Report>Online Forms>MCW W-9 Form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number).

Tax Exempt Letter:  A PDF copy of MCW’s Tax Exempt Letter, also known as a Tax Exempt Form, Affirmation Letter or Form 501c3, is available by clicking on InfoScope and following Finance & Admin>Accounting & Financial Report>Online Forms>MCW Tax Exempt Letter.

IRS Form 990:  A copy of MCW’s most recent IRS Form 990 may be requested from the Controller’s Office.  Please email your request to Christine Jarvey,

  3. What information do I need to collect from a consortium site if I plan to include a subcontract to that site on my non-profit sponsored grant application?

MCW internal policy requires that a Letter of Intent (LOI) be collected from every consortium site before they can be included on an application. The LOI for each subcontract site can either be included in the grant application, if so directed in the sponsor’s application instructions, or be attached elsewhere in the FP.  (R10.0 is the preferred location if the LOI will not be included in the application.).

Other application documents to request from a consortium site could include:

  • A biosketch for all individuals that will be included as Senior/Key personnel on the MCW grant application.
  • A detailed budget that includes Key Personnel effort. (Note: A least one Key person with measurable effort is required on every individual subcontract budget.)
  • A budget justification.
  • A statement of work to be done at the consortium site.
  • Letters of Support from the PI or others interested in supporting the application.
  • The site’s federally negotiated rate agreement, depending on the sponsor’s requirements for applicable F&A rate.

Requirements for applications vary among non-profit sponsors.  The collection of consortium information is for application preparation only.  The documents submitted to MCW may need to be reformatted most cases the documents submitted to MCW will need to be reformatted before being added to grant application.  Always defer to the application instructions to confirm what information and documentation is required for MCW and consortium partners in order to comply with sponsor requirements.

Budget Preparation

Open AllClose All
  1. How do I determine the F&A rate for a Non Profit sponsor?

A Non Profit sponsor usually provides F&A rate detail within the RFA/RFP, grant or budget instructions, or published grant guidelines.  Check the sponsor’s website for these documents.  If your application will be submitted via Proposal Central, you may download these documents with the application.

If the sponsor does not specify a rate, then the MCW’s Federal Negotiated Rate for the research location applies.  If the sponsor specifies no F&A costs are allowed, then submit the application using “None” for the rate and base.


MCW’s DHHS Rate Agreement (PDF) is located on the Office of Grants and Contracts website.

  2. What if a Non Profit sponsor states that it will not pay F&A costs or specifies an F&A rate that differs from MCW’s Federal Negotiated Rate?

MCW prefers to receive its applicable Federal Negotiated F&A cost rate because it takes into account the actual costs of conducting research at the college.  However, MCW will honor a sponsor’s published F&A cost policy if the rate variance is documented and attached in the Funding Proposal.  Please upload the documentation (such as the RFA/RFP, sponsor’s grant guideline or grant and/or budget instructions) within your eBridge funding proposal on Page R, question 10.0.

  3. May I use the NIH Salary Cap for a non-profit grant application budget? How is it applied in eBridge?

MCW business practice is to allow use of the NIH Salary Cap only when a sponsor specifically requests that the salary cap be used within the grant program’s guidelines or budget instructions.  When a sponsor’s guidelines specifies use of the NIH Salary Cap, the PI, Budget Specialist, or Primary Department Administrator must request it using the Request Salary Cap activity, located under My Activities, in the Funding Proposal Workspace in eBridge.  When requesting the Salary Cap in eBridge, select the appropriate salary cap level and attach a copy of the grant guidelines, application and/or budget instructions which specifies use of the salary cap.  Not attaching the sponsor’s guidelines may delay GCO’s review of the salary cap request.

If a sponsor specifies use of a salary cap other than the NIH Salary Cap or PCORI Salary Cap, please contact GCO for guidance.

Letters of Intent

Open AllClose All
  1. What is a Letter of Intent (LOI)? What does it contain?

A LOI is a document provided by an institution acknowledging their participation on a project.  A LOI is used when an institution is submitting an application to a sponsor, and the investigator intends to collaborate with another institution on a portion of the project (the consortium/subcontracting site).

The LOI is signed by an appropriate institutional or administrative official of the subcontracting site, and contains details such as the name of the PI, proposed project dates, budget amount, applicable F&A rate, and a statement to the effect that: "The appropriate programmatic and administrative personnel of each organization involved in this grant application are aware of the consortium agreement policy and are prepared to establish the necessary inter-organizational agreement(s) consistent with that policy." The institutional signature on the LOI signifies that the proposed consortium participant(s) understand and agree with this statement. It is not sufficient for the PI at the consortium institution to sign the LOI, as only an administrative official has the authority to commit the institutional resources to the proposed collaboration. The NIH does not mandate a LOI be attached in applications; however, you must include a LOI for each consortium / subcontract sites on an MCW application. Please review the LOI Procedure Guide (PDF) for additional instructions on how to submit a LOI with a paper application versus an eBridge Funding Proposal.

  2. Who is responsible for drafting the Letter of Intent (LOI) if a PI wants to collaborate on a grant that another institution is applying for? How do I get a LOI for my collaboration with a PI at another institution?

Your Grants and Contracts (GCO) contact person will draft the LOI for applications where MCW is the subrecipient. You have to submit a Funding Proposal (FP) for a new Federal Pass-through application in eBridge, and then complete the following steps in order to request a LOI:

  1. Follow the instructions in the eBridge Procedure Guide for Federal Pass-Through (PDF) applications to complete the FP.
  2. After the PDO approves the FP and the application moves into state Grants and Contracts Review, the “Request Letter of Intent” activity will become available for the PI, BS and PDA. One of these individuals needs to go into the FP Workspace and select “Request Letter of Intent” from the “My Activities” list on the left-hand side of the screen.
  3. Complete the requested information in the “Request Letter of Intent” activity and click Submit. The necessary information needed is as follows:
    1. Name of Principal Investigator at the Primary Sponsor/collaborating organization site who is serving as PI on the application (include degree info, MD or PhD, as applicable)
    2. Legal name of the institution submitting the application to NIH or other agency (Primary Sponsor in eBridge)
    3. Name of the administrative official at the collaborating institution to whom the LOI should be addressed
    4. Department of the administrative official
    5. Address of the administrative official
    6. Telephone, fax and email address for administrative official at the Primary Sponsor site

      After the information is completed, click Submit. An email notification that the LOI has been requested will go to the GCO Owner.
  1. The GCO Owner (the staff member who supports the PI’s department) will draft the LOI using information from the activity, FP and budget, and will obtain institutional signature. After the FP receives AOR Approval, the GCO Owner will upload the signed LOI using the “Log Comment and Attach Documents” activity, and the signed LOI will be available to the PI, PT, BS and PDA in the History Log of the FP. Once the FP is moved to state Pending Sponsor Decision, the signed LOI can be sent with other application materials to the Primary Sponsor (the collaborating institution that is submitting the application to the NIH).
  3. Who needs to sign a Letter of Intent (LOI) from another institution?

An Authorized institutional or administrative official from the subcontracting site must sign the LOI. It is not sufficient for the PI at the consortium institution to sign the LOI, as only an administrative official has the authority to commit the institutional resources to the proposed collaboration.

Contact GCO

 (414) 955-8563

All GCO Contacts

GCO Drop-off/ Pick-up Location

3rd Floor MACC Fund Research Center MFRC 3080