This is a selected list of career planning resources to help aid medical students who are choosing a medical specialty and residency program.
Books at MCW Libraries:
Books on Selecting and Surviving a Residency Program
AAMC Faculty Salary Report
MGMA 2016 Provider Compensation and Production Report
Websites on Residency Programs:
- AAFP - The Match
- Includes a link to "Strolling Through the Match," a practical guide to selecting a residency and the Match process.
- AAP – Pediatric Career Information
- A set of resources for medical students who are thinking about a career in Pediatrics. Includes "Pediatrics 101" - a resource with specific information about education, training, subspecialties, practice options, income, workforce issues, satisfaction, and more. Sponsored by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Provides links to important information for residents such as residency program requirements, duty hour standards, and complaint procedures.
- AMA resources for Residents
- From residency survival tips to developing your professional career.
- APA Residency Resources
- American Psychiatric Association resources for residents and fellows.
- AUAnet: Residency
- Sponsored by the American Urological Association.
- Used by medical students, residents and fellows to research graduate medical education opportunities and plan their careers.
- Careers in Medicine
- Careers in Medicine is a career planning program designed to help you choose a medical specialty and select and apply to a residency program.
- ERAS: The Electronic Residency Application Service
- ERAS is a service which transmits residency applications, letters of recommendation, Dean's Letters, transcripts, and other supporting credentials from applicants and medical schools to residency programs using the Internet.
- FREIDA Online
- American Medical Association - Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database.
- Includes information on over 7,800 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
- National Resident Matching Program (NRMP)
- The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) is a private, not-for-profit corporation established in 1952 to provide uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education (GME) in the United States. Some of the information at the website is only accessible to registered participants.
- Online Guide to Choosing a Surgical Residency
- Comprehensive and authoritative resource developed by the American College of Surgeons' Committee on Medical Student Education.
- So, You Want to Be a Surgeon . . .
- American College of Surgeons website developed to help you decide whether you are physically, intellectually, and emotionally suited to be a happy and successful surgeon.
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Resident Resource Collection
- Includes various resources such as survival guides, a primer on medical liability and guides to preparing a CV.