Elsevier offered the Medical College of Wisconsin the unique opportunity of a long-term loan of 17 original paintings by Carlos A. G. Machado, MD, one of the foremost medical illustrators at work today.
The paintings are on display in the Todd Wehr Library, across from the Lois Martin Memorial Conference Room.
Self-taught in fine and commercial art and medical illustration, Carlos A.G. Machado trained and practiced medicine as a cardiologist in Brazil before his medical illustration talents took his career in a different direction. His skill and artistry in medical illustration came to the attention of Ciba-Geigy when they were looking for someone to continue the medical illustration program founded by Dr. Frank H. Netter. For over 20 years Dr. Machado has contributed to the Netter collection working for the companies that hold the rights of editing Dr. Netter’s works, most recently, Elsevier, Inc. Dr. Machado’s photorealistic painting expertise, his keen insight into the physician/patient relationship, and his teaching experience inform his vivid and unforgettable visual style and instructive illustrations. His dedication to researching each topic and subject he paints and his determination to present unique and didactic views places him among the premier medical illustrators at work today. On display are several of his hand-painted works that can be found in Netter publications like the Atlas of Human Anatomy*, the Integumentary System volume of the Netter Collection of Medical Illustrations, and Netter’s Sports Medicine†.
*Todd M. Hoagland, PhD, Professor, Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy, is a consulting editor of the Atlas of Human Anatomy.
†Craig C. Young, MD, Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine is one of the editors of Netter’s Sports Medicine.
Painting Titles (Display Order)
- Acromioclavicular (AC) Injury
- The Rash in HIDS can be Variable Including Maculopapular and Urticarial Forms (plus swollen knees Netter Images 08297)
- Cushing's Syndrome in a Patient with Carney Complex
- Nevus of Ota and Ito (plus sunburn/tan arms on Netterimages 40781)
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Skin Physiology - The Process of Keratinization
- Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type 2 (MEN 2)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Cesarean Delivery
- Pediatrician Examining Child
- Early Vascular Systems
- Afferent Innervation of Oral Cavity Part II (Tongue)
- Internal Carotid Artery in Petrous Part of Temporal Bone
- Events Related to Gastrulation, Neurulation and Early Placenta and Coelom Development
- Afferent Innervation of Oral Cavity Part I (Skull)
For more information, contact the Medical College of Wisconsin Libraries at (414) 955-8302 or email@example.com.