Recommended Protocol for Pancreatic Stimulation Test
Specimens collected via P catheter inserted through biopsy channel. Each specimen should be >0.5 ml if possible. Specimens should be placed on ice immediately, then frozen and stored at -75oC in an ultra-low freezer until ready to ship.
- Baseline collection (T0).
- Test dose of secretin (0.2 mcg) IV over 1 minute.
- Full dose of ChiRhoStim® (Human Secretin for Injection) (0.2 mcg/kg) and CCK (Kinevac) (0.02 mcg/kg) IV over 1 minute. ChiRhoStim® (Human Secretin for Injection) is available from ChiRhoClin, Inc. (301) 476-8388; ChiRhoStim.com
- Specimens collected at 5, 10, 15 minutes following secretin/CCK (T5, T10, T15). We recommend using a duodenal aspiration catheter.
- Each specimen must be at least 0.2 ml.
- We will interpret results when samples are obtained as outlined in this protocol. If the protocol is not followed, we will continue to provide the results of pancreatic enzyme measurements but will be unable to interpret results.
Normal Values for individual pancreatic enzymes*:
- Lipase > 146.0 moles/ml/min.
- Amylase > 32.0 moles/ml/min.
- Trypsin > 55.4 nmoles/ml/min.
*Pancreatic function can only be considered as normal when the pre-stimulated or 1 of the post-stimulated aspirates (usually 5-10 mins) attains respective levels of activity as indicated.
Contact Information & Specimen Delivery Address
Medical College of Wisconsin
Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Laboratory
Attn: Mark Struve
Department of Pediatrics – Gastroenterology
MACC Fund Research Center, Rm. 5029
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
(414) 955-4166 | Fax: (414) 955-6686
Hours of Operation
The laboratory is regularly staffed Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Central Standard Time).
The laboratory is closed the following dates: January 1, May 29, July 4, September 4, November 23 & 24, December 25 & 26.
Specimen Delivery Route
Shipments are to be delivered to the Medical College of Wisconsin Loading Dock. The loading dock is located off of Watertown Plank Road between 87th and 92nd streets by use of access road highlighted by red arrow (see map below).