Dr. Smith attended Marquette University for her undergraduate training. She received her doctorate at the Ohio State University where she received the Ohio State University Graduate School Fellowship and graduated summa cum laude, and completed her postgraduate training in geropsychology at the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee. Dr. Smith is board certified in Clinical Geropsychology.
Dr. Smith has academic interests in psychology training and supervision, research on healthcare staff communication and coping, and in directing the palliative care fellowship.
Dr. Smith is Lead Psychologist at the VA Medical Center and Director of the VA Medical Center Interprofessional Fellowship in Palliative Care. She sees medical and geriatric patients at the Milwaukee VA Medical Center.
- Montagnini, M., SMITH, H. M., Moat, M., O'Leary, T., Ojeda, K., & Lisowski, E. (2008). Developing a VA palliative care program. The Federal Practitioner, 25, 18-29.
- Montagnini, M., SMITH, H. M., & Balistrieri, T. (2012). Assessment of self-perceived end-of-life care competencies of intensive care unit providers. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 15, 29-36.
- Snider-Meyer, J.M., Byrne, A.J., Levine, D.A., Gresser, S.K., SMITH, H.M., & Kier, F.J. (2013). A comparison of a veterans directed health care program vs. community nursing home placement. The Federal Practitioner, 30, 24-30.
- Montagnini, M., Kaiser, R., Clark, P., Dodd, M., Goodwin, C., Periyakoil, V., Ramsel, D., Sanchez-Reilly, S., Semla, T., SMITH, H., Supiano, K., Tsukuda, K., & Zeiss, A. (in press). Position Statement Interdisciplinary Team Training in Geriatrics: An Essential Component of Quality Healthcare for Older Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
- Minkin, A., Snider-Meyer, J., Olson, D., Gresser, S., SMITH, H., & Kier, F. (in press). Effectiveness of a nursing motivational interviewing intervention on medication adherence in a geriatric home based primary care service. Home Healthcare Nurse.
- Wolgram, D., Sunio, L., Vogt, E., SMITH, H.M., Visotcky, A., Laud, P., & Whittle, J. (in press). Hemodynamics during Dialysis and Cognitive Performance. Nephrology.