Information Concerning Sexual Assault

If you are a victim of sexual assault on campus, call the MCW's Public Safety or dial 9-911 to get help immediately. It is especially important in sexual assault crimes to preserve physical evidence in order to assist with any subsequent investigations.

Guidelines or suggestions to follow after a sexual assault:

  • Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
  • Contact Public Safety at (414) 955-8299 or dial 9-911 for immediate assistance. If 911 is called, then Public Safety must be made aware of the incident as soon as possible.
  • Try to preserve all physical evidence. Do not wash, use the toilet, or change clothing if you can avoid it. If you do change clothes, put all clothing you were wearing at the time of the incident in a paper, not plastic, bag.
  • Get medical attention as soon as possible to ensure you are physically well and to collect important evidence.
  • Talk with a counselor who will maintain confidentiality, help explain your options, give you information, and provide emotional support. Refer to the contact information below.
  • Contact someone you trust to be with you and support you.

Victims of sexual assault have the right to receive assistance from Public Safety in reporting such incidents to local law enforcement. Public Safety personnel will assist any person requesting such assistance and conduct investigative activities as required.

Victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, or other abuse can access both campus and community crisis, shelter, and counseling resources.

In Milwaukee County, call:

  • Milwaukee Women's Center at (414) 671-6140, or
  • Sojourner Truth House 24-Hour Hotline at (414) 933-2722
  • Sexual Assault Treatment Centers, (414) 219-5555
    • Aurora Sinai Medical Center
      • 945 N. 12 St., Milwaukee, WI 53233
    • West Allis Memorial Hospital
      • 8901 W. Lincoln Ave., West Allis, WI 53227

In Waukesha County, call:

  • Women's Center Inc. 24-Hour Crisis Line
    (262) 542-3828 or (888) 542-3828

Victim / Witness Assistance Brochure (PDF)

Contact Us

Public Safety Center
Health Research Center, Room H1820
Emergency: (414) 955-8299 | Non-Emergency: (414) 955-8295

Access Service Center
Health Research Center, Room H1860
(414) 955-8471

Central Administration
Medical Education Building, Room M0740
(414) 955-8424 | (414) 955-6557 (fax)