Medical College of Wisconsin, Department of Surgery
We Care Fund for Medical Innovation and Research
2018 Faculty Seed Grants
Request for Applications
The We Care Fund for Medical Innovation and Research Committee is requesting applications for seed funding for Department of Surgery faculty. Two grants will be awarded: one grant for $150,000, distributed over two years, and one grant for $50,000, distributed over one year.
- Request for Applications (RFA) Release Date: Monday, February 12, 2018
- Department of Surgery Review of Budget: No Later Than – April 11, 2018
- eBridge application due in Office of Grants and Contracts: No Later Than – April 18, 2018
- Emailed application due to We Care Fund: No Later Than - April 25, 2018 (by 5 pm)
- Scientific Committee Review: Thursday, June 21, 2018
- Award Notifications: Monday, July 16, 2018
- Anticipated Start Date: Saturday, September 1, 2018
The mission of the We Care Fund is to use contributions made available by the philanthropic community to support Department of Surgery faculty who are creating innovative therapies and clinical programs that benefit patients in Wisconsin and throughout the world. Proposals should demonstrate the importance of innovation and discovery to advance science and clinical care of patients. Any level of science is eligible for funding; preference will be given to those proposals that effectively articulate a translational theme even if the bedside application may be in the future. Proposals may include innovative basic science or clinical research projects.
- A full-time faculty member, with either a primary or joint appointment in the Department of Surgery, must be the Contact Principal Investigator (PI). The Contact PI will be primarily responsible for ensuring compliance with the scientific, safety, and ethical responsibilities of the grant award. The Contact PI will have the additional expectation of managing the award through the eBridge system. They will be responsible for all grant reporting and fiscal management.
- $150,000 grant requirements:
- Faculty of any rank in the Department of Surgery may apply.
- To promote interdisciplinary collaboration and innovative partnerships, it is required that the project be program-based and involve two divisions in the Department of Surgery or one division in Surgery plus one other department or center at MCW.
- It is required that a Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) or Co-Investigator (CO-I) be listed on the application that is from another division, department, or center than the contact PI.
- Co-PIs and Co-Is can be faculty, postdocs, fellows, or project-appropriate professionals from any department or center at MCW. Each application may list one Co-PI and up to two Co-Is.
- $50,000 grant requirements:
- Only assistant and associate professors in the Department of Surgery may apply.
- Each application may list one Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) and up to two Co-Investigators (Co-I) who are faculty, postdocs, fellows, or project-appropriate professionals from any department or center at MCW.
- A faculty member may participate as PI or Co-PI in only one proposal per grant cycle.
- We Care Fund grantees currently utilizing We Care Fund award dollars are not eligible. Former We Care Fund grantees whose award dollars have been completely exhausted are eligible.
Download application documents:
01 Announcement and Instructions (PDF)
02 Cover Page Form (PDF)
03 Biosketch Template (DOCX)
04 Cost Sharing Template (PDF)
The We Care Fund application contact is Krissa Packard, MS, CCRC, Manager, Division of Research, Department of Surgery, (414) 955-1861.
To learn more about the We Care Fund for Medical Innovation and Research, please visit the We Care Fund website.