Balaraman Kalyanaraman, PhD
Professor and Chair; Harry R. & Angeline E. Quadracci Professor in Parkinson’s Research; Founder, Free Radical Research Center; Associate Director of Basic Research, Center for Disease Prevention Research
Visiting Fellow, Chemistry, Laboratory of Environmental Biophysics, National Institute of Environmental Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC, 1978-1981
PhD, Chemistry, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, 1978
MS, Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai (formerly Bombay), India, 1972
BS, Chemistry, Loyola College, University of Madras, Chennai, India, 1970
In 1981, I joined the Biophysics section of the Department of Radiology at the Medical College of Wisconsin; in 1984, I became an assistant professor in the Department of Radiology; and in 1989, I became an associate professor in the Department of Biophysics. Currently, I am professor and chair of the Department of Biophysics. I have served as an associate editor for Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine,Free Radical Research, and Biochemical Journal.
My research interests are centered on the application of EPR in free radical biology and understanding the role of oxidants and antioxidants in signal transduction and apoptosis. My specific research areas are outlined below.
- Chemistry and Biophysics
- Detection of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species by EPR spin-trapping, fluorescence, optical stopped-flow, and HPLC techniques
- Syntheses of mitochondrially targeted spin traps, spin labels, and ROS-specific fluorescence probes
- EPR studies of mitochondria
- Mechanism of Signal Transduction/Cell Signaling
- Mitochondrial STAT3 and redox signaling
- Oxidant-induced iron signaling and apoptosis
- Chemotherapeutic drug toxicity and prevention (e.g., doxorubicin); mechanism of apoptosis in tumor cells and normal cells
- Mechanism of Disease
- Role of mitochondria-derived oxidants in chemically induced Parkinsonism (e.g., MPTP, rotenone) in cell culture and animal models; mechanism of protein aggregation, proteosomal dysfunction, and apoptotic neuronal cell death
- Targeting of metabolism, bioenergetics, and redox signaling in cancer
- Development of new mitochondria-targeted antitumor and antiproliferative drugs
My research projects include the following:
- Targeting Pancreatic Cancer Energy Metabolism, Tumor Growth, and Metastasis
The overall goal of this project is to develop new therapeutic approaches to inhibit PDAC malignancy.
- CYP2E1 Mediated Mitochondrial Injury and Cell Damage in Alcohol Liver Disease
A major objective here is to investigate the mechanisms of alcohol induced mitochondrial dysfunction and develop antioxidants and enzyme inhibitors to minimize alcohol induced liver damage.
Gang Cheng, PhD, Research Scientist II
Donna McAllister, Research Associate I
Laura McOlash, Research Technologist III
Monika Zielonka, Research Technologist III
(Cheng G, Zhang Q, Pan J, Lee Y, Ouari O, Hardy M, Zielonka M, Myers CR, Zielonka J, Weh K, Chang AC, Chen G, Kresty L, Kalyanaraman B, You M.) Nat Commun. 2019 05 17;10(1):2205.
(Kalyanaraman B, Cheng G, Zielonka J, Bennett B.) Cell Biochem Biophys. 2019 Mar;77(1):89-98.
(Xu D, Huang CH, Xie LN, Shao B, Mao L, Shao J, Kalyanaraman B, Zhu BZ.) Carcinogenesis. 2019 Jan 08.
(Xie LN, Shao J, Huang CH, Li F, Xu D, Kalyanaraman B, Zhu BZ.) Free Radic Biol Med. 2019 01;130:1-7.
(Zielonka J, Kalyanaraman B.) Free Radic Biol Med. 2018 11 20;128:3-22.
(Brenza TM, Schlichtmann BW, Bhargavan B, Vela Ramirez JE, Nelson RD, Panthani MG, McMillan JM, Kalyanaraman B, Gendelman HE, Anantharam V, Kanthasamy AG, Mallapragada SK, Narasimhan B, Kanmogne GD.) J Biomed Mater Res A. 2018 11;106(11):2881-2890.
(Boyle KA, Van Wickle J, Hill RB, Marchese A, Kalyanaraman B, Dwinell MB.) J Biol Chem. 2018 09 21;293(38):14891-14904.
(Xu Z, Ni B, Cao Z, Zielonka J, Gao J, Chen F, Kalyanaraman B, White GC, Ma YQ.) J Leukoc Biol. 2018 09;104(3):597-602.
(Cheng G, Zielonka M, Dranka B, Kumar SN, Myers CR, Bennett B, Garces AM, Dias Duarte Machado LG, Thiebaut D, Ouari O, Hardy M, Zielonka J, Kalyanaraman B.) J Biol Chem. 2018 06 29;293(26):10363-10380.
Corrigendum to 'A review of the basics of mitochondrial bioenergetics, metabolism, and related signaling pathways in cancer cells: Therapeutic targeting of tumor mitochondria with lipophilic cationic compounds' [REDOX 14C (2017) 316-327].
(Kalyanaraman B, Cheng G, Hardy M, Ouari O, Lopez M, Joseph J, Zielonka J, Dwinell MB.) Redox Biol. 2018 06;16:426-427.
(Pan J, Lee Y, Cheng G, Zielonka J, Zhang Q, Bajzikova M, Xiong D, Tsaih SW, Hardy M, Flister M, Olsen CM, Wang Y, Vang O, Neuzil J, Myers CR, Kalyanaraman B, You M.) iScience. 2018 May 25;3:192-207.
(Kalyanaraman B, Cheng G, Hardy M, Ouari O, Bennett B, Zielonka J.) Redox Biol. 2018 05;15:347-362.