Community Engaged Scholars: Immersion Program
*Application period has closed as of 3/15/2019*
The Office of the Associate Provost and Senior Associate Dean for Community Engagement and the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Community Engagement Core are currently seeking applicants with experience in research interested in being immersed into community engagement. This program spans five days focusing on the five Social Determinants of Health outlined by Healthy People 2020 (healthypeople.gov) through a partnership with community organizations serving Milwaukee residents. This program was designed with the staff of our community partner organizations serving as teachers for researchers interested in learning how to become effective community-engaged professionals. During this experience you will be immersed into the community site programming, learn from the staff about perspectives of community partners in community engagement, and have the opportunity for bi-directional discussions.
What You Need to Know
- Be a researcher interested in building capacity for community engaged research
- Have at least one year of graduate level study
- Have a willingness to be culturally humble
- Be available for the entire experience
Please be aware that program participants are selected from an application process and space is limited. If you are selected, registration and payment information will be provided to you using the email you indicate on the application.
- Identify the importance of community input in research and healthcare (K)
- Examine personal accountability and roles in community engagement (C)
- Apply the principles of community engagement and social determinants of health to a health disparity or social injustice (Ap)
- Comprehend and explain your ability to be community engaged (S)
- Evaluate the readiness of your organization in addressing health disparities or social injustice (E)
Bloom’s Taxonomy – K - knowledge, C - comprehend, Ap - apply, S - synthesize, E - evaluate
Hotel reservations should be made to the Hyatt Place Milwaukee Downtown online or by phone.
Hyatt Place Milwaukee Downtown
800 W. Juneau Ave., Milwaukee, WI, United States, 53233
View in Google Maps
Please call the Hyatt Place Reservations line at 1-888-492-8847 and ask for reservations, let the reservations agent know that you are booking at the Hyatt Place Milwaukee Downtown with the “MCW Community Engagement Immersion Program group block” or book online at Hyatt Place Milwaukee Downtown.
A credit card is required to guarantee the reservation. Individual cancellation is 48-hours prior to arrival. Any cancellations within 48-hours of arrival will be charged 1-night room and tax.
Reservations must be made by Friday, April 1, 2019. After this date, rooms will be released for general sale, and room rate and availability are no longer guaranteed.
Rooms are 1-king studio suites with a pullout sofa sleeper, smart TV, refrigerator, iron/ironing board, coffeemaker, hairdryer and USB alarm clock. The hotel features complimentary Wi-Fi so your guests can stay connected, a 24 hour fitness center so they can keep up with their regular workout routines and the Coffee to Cocktails onsite bar and bistro for local beers, cocktails and lunch or dinner in between the activities you have planned. Complimentary hot breakfast buffet is available to our World of Hyatt members to fuel their day. Enroll as a World Hyatt member!
The Hyatt Place is walking distance to the Fiserv Forum, as well as many great new restaurants, bars and breweries.
Plan Your Visit
The following meals will be provided by the program:
- Monday - Dinner
- Tuesday - Breakfast, lunch
- Wednesday - Breakfast, lunch
- Thursday - Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Friday - Breakfast, lunch
There will be vegetarian options available. All other dietary needs should be discussed on an individual basis.
Any other meals will be responsibility of the registrant.
- Travel to and from airports/trains/buses, etc. will be the responsibility of the registrant.
- Transportation will be provided from hotel to community locations during the week at no cost to the participants. In order to utilize this service, you must be present at the hotel during pick up and drop off times each day.
Cost: Free (Spots are limited, advance registration required)
Questions or Comments?
Jessica De Santis