Radiation Biology Laboratory
The Medical College of Wisconsin Radiobiology Group is based in Radiation Oncology, and has members in multiple other Departments. The major areas of work are:
- Developing ways to decrease the toxicity associated with the therapeutic use of radiation in cancer treatment
- Developing medical countermeasures to the types of late radiation injuries that could occur after a radiation accident or a radiological terrorism incident
- Assessing the risk of exposure to various types of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation (PDF)
Meetha M. Medhora, PhD
John E. Baker, PhD
Fritz Sieber, PhD
- A clinical trial showing that the risk of chronic radiation injures from the therapeutic use of radiation can be decreased by post-irradiation use of an FDA-approved angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, captopril.
- An assessment of the risks associated with the whole-body scanners used in airports.