Middle School Program
Student Enrichment Program for Underrepresented Professions (StEP-UP)
Select students who demonstrate an interest in science and medicine will have:
- Interactive sessions with MCW medical and graduate students, practicing physicians, and other health professionals.
- An early exposure to a variety of experiences to inspire their pursuit of a careers in medicine and science.
- Extensive learning modules that are engaging and grade level appropriate given their current foundation and scientific knowledge.
- Hands-on demonstrations of basic biomedical and clinical science teaching topics.
- Six half-day sessions held on one Saturday per month throughout the academic school year.
- Parental Information and resource sessions.
- Personal Development - helps to give students the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to lead confident, healthy, independent lives and to become informed, active, and responsible citizens.
- Professional Development - The curriculum aims help students develop the goals, skills, and attributes necessary for success as a student, an applicant to a professional program, and a career professional.
- Hands on activities - help students develop problem and critical thinking skills, as well as gain exposure to reactions, materials, and equipment in a lab setting.Preparation for the next step - students will be given resources and instructions to help prepare them for high school.
- Preparation for the Next Step - Students will be given resources and instructions to help prepare them for high school.
We believe parent support and participation translates to active and engaged students. Parental sessions will:
- Provide workshops and training materials for parents on how to improve their child’s study skills or learning in various academic subjects.
- Engage families in opportunities to work with their children in setting their academic, college and career goals.
- Provide interaction with community partners, MCW staff, faculty, and students to share resources for parents at orientation.
Attendance is mandatory for every session.
- Student meet one Saturday per month during the academic school year.
- A tentative schedule will be provided to all accepted students.
2019 Program Timeline
Middle School Application Requirements and Procedure
Applications open for the 2019-2020 school year August 1, 2019.
Deadline to apply is October 11, 2019.
To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be from a background that is underrepresented in medicine.
- Ability to travel to the MCW Milwaukee campus for each session
Please note: Children of MCW faculty and staff are not eligible to apply for StEP-UP.