Student Enrichment Program for Underrepresented Professions (StEP-UP)
Undergraduate students in StEP-UP move through the program in a supportive cohort that supplements their pre-medicine and biomedical studies through each year of college. Students will get opportunities to work with MCW faculty and medical and graduate students.
While the StEP-UP program is designed to supplement each year of a student’s college career, we understand that not all students graduate in four years or go directly into their medical or graduate studies after college. Students will still be able to participate, even if they do not follow the traditional four-year college path.
StEP-UP consists of six Science Saturdays throughout each academic year. Most students will be admitted at the beginning of their first year in college.
October 12, 2019
November 9, 2019
January 25, 2020
February 22, 2020
March 7, 2020
April 18, 2020
Step 1 (Freshmen Year): Building a Professional Perspective
Build your study skills and participate in scholarly conversations and activities. Learn about different communication styles, personal branding, work/life balance, and how to financially prepare for medical or graduate school and beyond.
Step 2 (Sophomore Year): Clinical and Research Opportunities
Explore different specialties and research. Shadow MCW faculty in clinic and laboratory settings while being introduced to the MCAT or GRE.
Step 3 (Junior Year)
Develop a strong application for medical or graduate school admission. Prepare for the MCAT or GRE and focus on the application process, creating a personal statement, and asking for letters of recommendation.
Step 4 (Senior Year)
Opportunities for volunteering and shadowing will continue to be available. Participate in interview practice and prepare for the transition between undergraduate to medical or graduate school.
College Program Application Requirements and Procedure
College application deadline: Priority deadline September 1 of each year.
Final deadline: October 1.
To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be from a background that is underrepresented in medicine
- Have at least a cumulative 3.0 GPA (high school GPA for Freshmen, college GPA for Sophomores or higher)
- Enrolled at an accredited college in Wisconsin
- Ability to travel to the MCW-Milwaukee one Saturday each month during the academic year
Please note: Children of MCW faculty and staff are not eligible to apply for StEP-UP.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application
- Complete two short-answer personal statements:
- As part of StEP-UP, how will you contribute to the diversity at MCW and in the healthcare field?
- What are your academic and career goals and how will StEP-UP help you achieve them?
- Upload your current resume/CV
- Upload high school (for new freshmen) or college transcripts (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Have two teachers, professors, advisors, or other influential adults complete and submit a recommendation form
- Applications for the upcoming academic year open on April 1. The priority deadline for applications is September 1 of each academic year. Applications must be considered by October 1 to be considered.
To be considered for the first session of the year, applications must be completed by September 1 of each academic year. Skype or in-person interview may be required.