Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences

Graduate Medical Education

Wisconsin Medical License Process Guide

* Incoming housestaff who will have completed two prior years of GME are expected to obtain an unrestricted Wisconsin license prior to starting with MCWAH.

Housestaff must have an unrestricted Wisconsin license before entering into a third year of GME accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or in Canada accredited by the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) or the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC).

If one year of GME was completed prior to coming to the Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals (MCWAH), an unrestricted license must be obtained within sixteen months after starting in a MCWAH program. *

Begin application process in the 6th month of your initial year of GME.

Step-by-Step Instructional Guide (PDF)
Acronyms and website links (PDF)