2019 Innovations in Healthcare Education Research Conference
Reimagining Health Sciences Education
Thursday, April 25 l 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Medical College of Wisconsin
Medical Education Building
8701 Watertown Plank Rd., Milwaukee, WI 53226
Please review the 2019 conference program for the schedule and poster information.
8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Conference Check-in/Registration
8:30 - 9:45 a.m. Morning Workshops
9:55 - 10:55 a.m. Morning Oral Presentations/Breakout Sessions
11:00 - 11:50 a.m. Morning Poster Session
11:45 a.m. Lunch pick-up begins
Noon - 12:15 p.m. Welcome and Introduction
12:15 - 1:15 p.m. Keynote Address*
1:25 - 2:15 p.m. Afternoon Poster Session
2:20 - 3:20 p.m. Afternoon Oral Presentations/Breakout Sessions
3:30 - 4:45 p.m. Afternoon Workshops
4:45 - 5:00 p.m. Awards Announced
*If you are unable to attend in person, please use the Live Stream link to view the Keynote Address presentation.
Morning Workshops (8:30 - 9:45 a.m.)
- "How Does Unconscious Bias Impact How We Assess Our Learners? What Can We Do About It?"
- Danita Hahn, MD; Anya Kleinman, MD; Fatima Gutierrez, MD; Jeffrey Winer, MD, MA, MSHS; and H. Barrett Fromme, MD, MHPE
- "Going from Presentation or Poster to Publication: A How-to Workshop"
- William J. Hueston, MD and Sarina B. Schrager, MD
- "Speak Up in Challenging Clinical Education Environments - A Dialogue (SUCCEED)
- Kristina Kaljo, PhD; Michael Lund, MD; Marty Muntz, MD; and Cassidy Berns
Afternoon Workshops (3:30 - 4:45 p.m.)
- "Curricular Transformation Examples - Evidence, Risk, and Opportunities" (Panel)
- Marty Muntz, MD; Jeff Fritz, PhD; and Sally Twining, PhD, FARVO
- "Does Your Character Have Character? Building Character Through Medical Improv"
- Erica Chou, MD; Tom Reuter; MaryAnn Gilligan, MD, MPH; and Sara Lauck, MD
- "Taste of Design Thinking from Stanford with Six Pedagogical Levers to Create Successful Learning"
- Chris Decker, MD; Cassie Ferguson, MD; and Julia Schmitt
The 2019 Conference will feature keynote speaker Elizabeth Baker, MD, MHPE, Senior Associate Dean at the Rush Medical College in Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Baker will present on "Reimagining the Curriculum: Educational philosophy, 'flipping the classroom' and innovative transformation."
About Dr. Baker
Elizabeth Baker MD, MHPE is the Senior Associate Dean at Rush Medical College in Chicago. She has been an integral part of the development and implementation of Rush Medical College’s integrated curriculum that premiered in September 2017, which features a flipped classroom approach and integration of all components of the pre-clerkship curriculum. Dr. Baker has been on the faculty at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago since completing her residency and chief residency in Internal Medicine at Rush in 1991. She has a Masters in Health Professions Education and is currently working on her PhD in Curricular Studies/Medical Education at the University of Illinois at Chicago. In addition to curricular studies, Dr. Baker’s main scholarly interest is in clinical skills, and specifically diagnostic reasoning. She has developed and disseminated the IDEA tool for teaching and assessing diagnostic reasoning through written notes. She is a general internist who practices in both the inpatient and outpatient settings at RUMC.
If you are unable to attend in person, please use the Live Stream link to view Dr. Baker's presentation.