27th Annual Wisconsin Emergency Medicine Research Forum
The research team in the Department of Emergency Medicine (MCW) planned and executed the 27th Annual Wisconsin Emergency Medicine Research Forum on April 4, 2019 at The Harley Davidson Museum, Milwaukee WI. This event was co-sponsored by BerbeeWalsh Department of EM at the University of Wisconsin, Madison and the Wisconsin Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians (WACEP).
The research forum opened with a welcome address by Dr. Ian Martin and Dr. Amy Zosel moderated. There were 17 oral presentations (6 MCW EM) and 32 poster presentations (13 MCW EM)! Thank you to all the directors, co-directors and judges.
Directors and Co-Directors: Dr. Amy Zosel (MCW), Dr. Ryan Thompson (WACEP), Dr. Manish Shah (UW-Madison), Dr. Tom Aufderheide, Dr. Dave Brosseau, Dr. Amy Drendel, Dr. Jill Theobald, Dr. Jennifer Hernandez-Meier and Dr. Tehseen Sarwar
Research Forum Judges: Dr. Tom Aufderheide, Dr. Jill Theobald, Dr. Dave Brosseau, Dr. Zosel, Dr. Hernandez-Meier, Dr. Amy Drendel, and Dr. Tehseen Sarwar
Keynote Speaker: Daniel W. Spaite, MD, FACEP, Professor Virginia Piper Distinguished Chair of Emergency Medicine, University of Arizona
- Best Student Presentation (Tie): Cagla Muslu (MCW) – “The Association Between Timeliness of Opioid Administration and Hospitalization Rates in Children with Sickle Cell Disease Who Present to the ED in Acute Pain” and Nia Cayenne (UW Madison) – “Social Isolation as a Predictor of Post-ED Visit Follow-up by Older Adults”
- Best Scholarly Project (also known as the WACEP Research Award): Ashton Schwerin, MD (MCW) – “Effects of Gender and Body Mass Index on Low Tidal Volume Ventilation in the Emergency Department”
- Best Resident/Fellow Presentation: Sarah Thill, MD (MCW) – “The Patient Experience of Hospitalized versus Discharged Patients from the Pediatric Emergency Department”
- Career Development Award: Michael Ward, MD (UW Madison) – “The Effect of Body Mass Index on Fluid Resuscitation in Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock”
- Best Overall Presentation: Kristi Maso, MD (MCW) – "The Landscape of Sexual Harassment in Medicine: Qualitative Experiences of Women in Emergency Medicine”
- Best Poster: Aaron Beck (UW Madison) – "Features of Primary Care Influencing ED Use of Persons with Dementia: A Multiple-Perspective Qualitative Study"
- The Howard J. Croft Resident Advocate Award: Marielle Brenner, MD (MCW)
"I want to thank all of you who presented at or attended our Emergency Medicine Research Forum on April 4th at the Harley Davidson Museum. From what I hear, it was one of our largest and best attended to date. I was proud to see all the great scholarly work underway in our Department by our faculty, residents, and students. I want to thank Dr. Amy Zosel, Dr. Tom Aufderheide, Dr. Jenny Hernandez-Meier, Dr. Tehseen Sarwar, and Ms. Jessiye Davis for planning and leading such a successful Forum and day. I also want to thank Ms. Charlie Ann Rykwalder, Ms. Carrie Froemming, and Ms. Sineigh Quinn for all their work with the logistics of the Forum and day. Finally, I want to thank Dr. Jill Theobald, Dr. Dave Brosseau, Dr. Zosel, Dr. Hernandez-Meier, Dr. Amy Drendel, and Dr. Tehseen Sarwar for serving as judges for the day." - Ian BK Martin, MD, MBA, FACEP, FAAEM