Resources for Clinical Advisors: 2021-2022 Residency Application Guide
ERAS 2022 Participating Specialties & Programs
Please note, several specialties have issued additional requirements for the upcoming season. This additional information can be found by either following the instructions below to display directly on this page or by downloading a comprehensive list of all specialties (both residency and fellowships) that have issued requirements available via the ERAS Specialties with Additional Information Report.
Supplemental ERAS for 2021-2022 Residency Application
- General surgery (categorical only)
- Internal medicine (categorical and preliminary)
Accessing the Application
The application process is initiated when an applicant saves one or more programs in dermatology, general surgery, or internal medicine in the MyERAS application.
After you save a program, the AAMC will send you an invitation email with a personalized link to the supplemental application.
- AAMC will begin sending email invitations on Sept. 1, 2021. Emails will be sent from the email address SuppERASApp@aamc.org.
- AAMC will send invitation emails daily from Sept. 1 through Sept. 30, 2021, to applicants who save or apply to a program in one of the participating specialties.
- AAMC will send weekly reminder emails between Sept. 1 and Sept. 30 until you complete the supplemental application.
- AAMC will send a confirmation email after you submit the supplemental application.
Supplemental ERAS Timeline
- Wednesday, September 1 – Thursday, September 19 will be available to programs on Wednesday, September 29 at 9 a.m. ET
- Monday, September 20 – Thursday, September 30 will be available to programs on Wednesday, October 6 at 9 a.m. ET.
- Past Experience: Identify up to 5 meaningful experiences, Fill out experience questions, Write up to 300 characters for why the experience was meaningful for each five experience, Write up to 750 characters other impactful experiences
- Geographic Information: Geographic Division Preference, Urban or Rural Setting Preference (Write up to 300 characters about your urban and rural setting)
- Geographic information will NOT be shared with general surgery programs
- Preference Signaling: Dermatology (3), General Surgery-Categorical (5), Internal Medicine-Categorical (5), Internal Medicine-Preliminary (5)
- NOT including your home institution and completed in-person away rotation or subinternship
Virtual Open House
Please follow residency program’s social media.
- MCW MS Teams: This is the central place to post virtual open houses received from GSA, programs, or other MCW offices. If you know any virtual open house, please post it on MS Teams.
- SGSA Community also creates a spreadsheet for residency programs to share their virtual open house information.
- 'Inside the Match' Twitter
ERAS 2021-2022 Cycle
Residency programs may begin to review applications and Medical Student Performance Evaluations (MSPEs) on Wednesday, September 29 at 9 a.m. ET. Applications submitted on or before Sept. 29 at 9 a.m. ET will display an application date of “September 29” to programs. Applications submitted after September 29 will display the actual application date.
- ERAS Tools and Worksheets for 2022 Residency Applicants
- ERAS 2022 Recorded Webinars for Residency Applicants
- AAMC T2R Tools for a Successful Residency Application
- Effectively Utilizing ERAS
- Supplemental ERAS Application 101 webinar
- Residency Explorer™ tool
- Free, new resource tool that allows students to research individual residency programs in 23 specialties, compare themselves to previously matched applicants and residents entering a program this year, as well as explore program characteristics across many areas of interest.
- Apply Smart: Data to Consider When Applying to Residency
- The AAMC provides applicants with data to help them anchor their initial thinking about how many residency programs to apply to.