American Academy of Physician Assistants Recognizes Medical College of Wisconsin with Employer of Excellence Award
Milwaukee, Aug. 21, 2020 – The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has been honored as one of the organizations to receive the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) Center for Healthcare Leadership and Management (CHLM) 2020-2021 Employer of Excellence (EOE) Award.
The EOE Awards are designed to showcase employers that have implemented practices that create positive work environments and encourage collaborative provider teams. Recognition criteria are focused on five key drivers:
- Establishing a positive and supportive physician assistant (PA) work environment;
- Providing opportunities for PAs to provide meaningful input that leads to positive organizational change;
- Keeping PAs informed about organizational activity and decisions;
- Involving PAs in leadership efforts to improve the quality of patient care, and
- Creating processes for effective conflict management.
“Our institution is stronger as a result of our clinical collaboration with our physician assistants and nurse practitioners,” said John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, President and CEO of MCW, “These advanced practice practitioners add depth and breadth to our leadership teams, enhancing our continued growth and progress and leading the way in excellence in mentorship, education and team-based care.”
MCW NPs and PAs contribute directly to all four MCW missions in numerous ways:
- Clinical: PAs and NPs help MCW offer complex, high-acuity care alongside commodity care.
- Research: MCW cancer center physicians, PAs and NPs link MCW’s research enterprise with daily clinical care to accelerate patient access to cutting-edge discoveries through clinical trials and innovative treatments.
- Education: Inclusion of PAs and NPs into first- and second-year medical student and resident education and rotations is an investment in the next generation of clinicians and scientists, who will meet workforce needs and influence how healthcare is practiced in the future.
- Community Engagement: PAs and NPs are actively involved in community outreach and support MCW’s commitment to improve the health and address disparities beyond the patients treated in partnership with the community.
Keep up with the latest news. Sign up for Newsroom Alerts.
Latest press releases, stories and resources.