YOUR ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
In order to apply to MCW, applicants must have earned a minimum of 90 undergraduate credits, including prerequisites, at a regionally accredited college or university located in the United States or Canada. The required credits must be earned prior to matriculation. No credit will be given for coursework taken outside the United States or Canada.
We only accept scores from the new version of the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). For 2019 entry, applicants must have taken the exam no earlier than January 2016.
MCW also accepts applications from international applicants, non-US citizens, and DACA status applicants who meet other eligibility requirements.
The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) exam is required of all applicants. We only accept scores from the new version of the MCAT. For 2019 entry, the MCAT must have been taken no earlier than January 2016.
If you have taken the MCAT exam more than once, the Admissions Committee will mix-and-match the two most recent eligible exams to consider the best overall score.
The CASPer Test
Completion of the CASPer exam is mandatory for all MCW Medical School applicants. CASPer is an online test which assesses non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics that we believe are important for successful students and physicians. This information will complement other tools we use for applicant screening, evaluation, and review and will further enhance the fairness and objectivity of our holistic review and selection process.
Your application will not be reviewed for possible interview selection until you have completed and submitted the CASPer exam. We highly recommend that you take the exam on the first available date. Please note that CASPer test scores are only valid for one admissions cycle. If you took the CASPer test as part of last year’s application, you will be required to retake the test this cycle as well. To take CASPer, you will need a computer with audio capabilities, a webcam, and a reliable internet connection on your selected test date. There is a $10 fee to take CASPer and a $10 fee to send your score to MCW. CASPer fees are waived for those approved for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program.
Please go to the CASPer Test website to sign up and reserve a test date using your AAMC ID and a government-issued photo ID. Do not register for test dates in December or January which fall after the secondary application deadline.
Please review more details about the CASPer test (PDF)
While it is recommended that all prerequisites be completed prior to taking the MCAT, completion of the prerequisites is not a requirement to have a file reviewed, be interviewed, or receive an offer. Completion of all prerequisites is a requirement for enrollment, and must be fulfilled by June 15th of the matriculation year.
To ensure accurate academic records, all official transcripts must be submitted by June 15th of the matriculation year. Transcripts must come directly from the educational institutions. AMCAS does not forward transcripts to the medical schools.
If you are on the quarter or trimester system, three quarters or trimesters are required.
4 credits Advanced Biology with lab
(Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Neurobiology, etc. will satisfy this requirement if the course includes a lab.)
3 or 4 credits in Biochemistry
(provided the course required both general and organic chemistry as prerequisites)
(statistics is recommended)
(may use a writing-intensive course to satisfy this requirement.)
|3 credits in psychology or sociology
|*A course in oral communication (speech, interpersonal communication, etc.) is recommended.
|**AP coursework will be accepted for physics and math requirements only. All credits must be taken for a grade.
Letters of Recommendation
Required Undergraduate Letters: You must submit undergraduate letters of recommendation unless you graduated with your undergraduate degree at least five years ago. Letters must be submitted in one of the following formats:
- Committee letter
- Packet of letters
- Two individual letters from classroom professors, one of whom must have taught biology, chemistry, physics, or a comparable science discipline.
Required Graduate Letters: Applicants currently or previously enrolled in a degree-granting graduate program are required to submit one letter of recommendation from a professor or thesis advisor. Applicants recently accepted to a graduate program are not required to submit a letter.
- You may submit up to three optional letters. These letters are not required.
- For optimal consideration, these should be also be submitted via AMCAS and be received by MCW before the application is complete.
- If you are applying to the MD/PhD (MSTP) or MD/MS program, it is strongly recommended that you include a letter of recommendation speaking to your ability to become a physician-scientist.
- Letters from Principal Investigators may be submitted as optional letters, but typically cannot fulfill the undergraduate letter requirement.
- Letters of recommendation must be on official letterhead and signed by the author(s).
- If the letter-writer is a Teaching Assistant, the letter must be co-signed by the Professor of the course.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to confirm that each letter-writer understands and complies with these requirements.
- Letters of recommendation are accepted via US Postal Service and electronic providers including AMCAS, VirtualEvals, and Interfolio.
If you are requesting an exception, such as waiving undergraduate or graduate letters, please contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com or (414) 955-8246.