clinical advising program
MCW’s required Clinical Advising Program provides an opportunity for rising Milwaukee M3 students to work closely with a clinical faculty member to individualize their senior schedule, build solid and cohesive ERAS packages for residency programs, and develop a professional identity under the guidance of a faculty role model. In addition to scheduling, Clinical Advisors and their mentees are encouraged to discuss a broad array of topics related to medical student success and specialty preparedness.
A clinical advisor should be prepared to:
- Assist with M4 curriculum selection, including electives and away rotations, as well as timing for Step 2 CK & CS exams
- Review CVs and personal statements
- Help expand students’ professional networks and encourage the development of networking skills
- Advise on residency programs, assess competitiveness, and guide the application process
- Write letters of recommendation
Clinical Advising Program Timeline (2017-2018)
||Academic Support introduces the Clinical Advising Program to Milwaukee M3 students
||M4 Coursework Guide PDF uploaded and available on Academic Support's website
||Student deadline to electronically submit Clinical Advisor Request and Approval Form
||Advisor deadline to review, sign and submit the Clinical Advisor Request and Approval Form via email to Academic Support's designated office
|Students to schedule a meeting with their advisor and complete the Clinical Advisor Policies and Schedule Form
||Student deadline to submit Clinical Advisor Policies and Schedule Form via email to Academic Support 's designated office
||Registration for M4 classes
Clinical Advisor Request & Approval Form (PDF)
Please download this form and submit your completed form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student: Please complete the student portion and electronically submit by 2/16/18. Upon submission, Academic Support will forward the form to your requested advisor for completion. You will receive an email confirmation from Academic Support upon advisor approval.
- Advisor: Please review, electronically sign, and return via email to Academic Support's designated office by 3/1/18. You will receive an email confirmation from Academic Support.
Clinical Advisor Policies & Schedule Form (DOC)
Please complete with both student and advisor signatures, scan, and submit via email to email@example.com.
- Student: Please meet with your Clinical Advisor to review the M4 scheduling policies and create a fourth-year schedule that both meets the graduation requirements and is appropriate for your specialty of interest. Complete with signatures, scan, and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3/31/18.
- Advisor: Please meet with your student to review the M4 scheduling policies and guide the student in creating a fourth-year schedule that both meets the graduation requirements and is appropriate for their specialty of interest. Please sign the form to verify that you met and discussed the student’s schedule. The student is responsible for submission of the completed form.