Gerald J. Harris, MD
Professor of Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
Chief, Orbital and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery
(414) 955-6300 (fax)
The Eye Institute
925 N. 87th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53226
"Since emerging as a distinct subspecialty more than 40 years ago, oculoplastic surgery has combined reconstructive proficiency and ophthalmologic perspective in the management of a wide range of periocular conditions in adults and children. General categories include: tumors of the orbit, eyelids, and conjunctiva; traumatic disruption of the eyelids, tear ducts, and orbital bones; inflammatory disorders, including orbital cellulitis, pseudotumor, and Graves orbitopathy; congenital anomalies, such as ptosis and nasolacrimal duct obstruction; involutional or age-related problems, including drooping, 'baggy,' or malpositioned eyelids and excessive or inadequate tearing; and anophthalmic problems, including orbital implant complications and socket deformities. Because of the conditions treated, oculoplastic surgery sits at the interface of ophthalmology and many other disciplines. Our interdepartmental collaboration within the Froedtert-Medical College-Children’s Hospital complex optimizes and integrates patient care, and includes multispecialty conferences and tumor boards, interdisciplinary surgeries, and reciprocal rotations of fellows and residents. Our academic mission includes the clinical and didactic training of ophthalmology residents and two-year, post-residency fellows accredited by the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Our research to advance patient care is shared with the national and international communities in peer-reviewed literature, invited lectures, and scientific symposia.”
Patient Care Emphasis
- Orbital Diseases and Surgery
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Eyelids
- Tear Duct Surgery
- Ocular Oncology
Current Research Interests
- Eyelid and Periocular Reconstruction
- Aesthetic Approaches to Orbital Surgery
- Orbital Fractures: Election and Timing of Surgical Repair
- Orbital Infections: Age-related Differences in Management
- Orbital Tumors: Diagnosis and Management
Society Memberships and National Positions
- President, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- American College of Surgeons
- The Orbital Society
- American Ophthalmological Society
- European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Editor Emeritus, Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Program Director, ASOPRS-accredited Fellowship in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Honors and Awards
- Air Medal and Commendation Medal (United States Air Force)
- Board Certification, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Honor Award (AAO)
- Listed in Best Doctors in America (all editions)
- Lester T. Jones Award (ASOPRS)
- ASOPRS Outstanding Contribution Award
- Residents’ Award for Teaching Excellence (MCW Department of Ophthalmology)
- Wendell L. Hughes Lecturer (AAO)
- Henri Johan Flieringa Lecturer (Rotterdam Eye Hospital)
- Richard G. Weaver Lecturer (Wake Forest University School of Medicine)
- ASOPRS Foundation Lecturer
- Irving H. Leopold Lecturer (Wills Eye Hospital)
- Arthur Culler Lecturer (The Ohio State University)
- Robert Miller Lecturer (Northwestern University)
- A. J. Elliott Lecturer (British Columbia Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons)
- E. A. Baker Foundation Lecturer (Canadian Ophthalmological Society)
Post Graduate Training
- Internship, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Residency, Ophthalmology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL
- Fellowship, Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, Columbia University, New York, NY
- European Society of Ophthalmology, Geneva, June 6, 2011.
- Masters of Orbital Surgery Symposium, ASOPRS Annual Spring Symposium, Tucson, May 20, 2012.
- III Congreso Iberoamericano de Oculoplastica y Orbita / III International Orbital Society Symposium, Buenos Aires, September 14, 2012.
- Charles Dwight Townes Memorial Lecture, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Louisville, June 8, 2013.
- International Thyroid Eye Disease Society, Vancouver, June 28, 2013.
- Orbital Society, Capri, September 17, 2014.
- 60th Annual Rochester Ophthalmology Conference, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, March 20, 2015.
- Grand Rounds, Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, June 4, 2015.
- Annual Facial Trauma Plating Course, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, June 10, 2015.
- Georgia Society of Ophthalmology, Atlanta, February 6, 2016.
- Combined Grand Rounds, Departments of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, March 30, 2017.