Community Advisory Board
Our Mission: To advise the MCW Cancer Center and help address cancer disparities in eastern Wisconsin through authentic community engagement and research in cancer prevention, screening, diagnosis, treatment and survivorship.
Learn more about cancer in eastern Wisconsin
CAB Meetings, Documents and Accomplishments
The CAB is a group of dedicated volunteers committed to eliminating the terrible burden of cancer health disparities in the city of Milwaukee. After learning that Milwaukee’s African Americans develop cancer at much higher rates, and are much more likely to die from cancers, the CAB acted to understand and address these disparities. The CAB drives, guides and participates in community-engaged research, cancer prevention and control activities, and clinical care efforts that have a major impact on the health of the people of Milwaukee, and the results are amazing.
Jan - April - July - Oct
Fourth Thursday, 9:00-11:00 am
CAB Leadership Meetings
Second Tuesdays, 10:00-11:00 am, MCW Cancer Center, Room C5318
MCW Cancer Center CAB Receives BizTimes Healthcare Heroes Award for 2018!
In-Process CAB Projects and Events:
- Summer Internship in Cancer Disparities, ongoing with partner Milwaukee Area Health Education Center (MAHEC).
- Cancer Navigator position to address minority participation in clinical trials, jointly funded with the American Cancer Society (ACS).
- ACS Kohl's Healthy Families Award for High School Cancer Prevention Project, Awarded April 2015 - Ongoing.
- Phyllis Holder, member of MCW Cancer Center Scientific Review Committee since July 2015 - Current.
Completed CAB Projects, Events and Accomplishments:
- Community Engagement Core Grant Awarded to CAB member Mikel Holt and MCW professor Ryan Spellecy to study disparities in cancer clinical research participation.
- Nine Community Conversations to Date:
1. Henrietta Lacks: An Immortal Life Without Consent with Body & Soul Healing Arts Center
2. Tuskegee: Yesterday…Today…Tomorrow with Destiny Center
3. Empower You and 4. Share the Care Talking Circles with Pink Shawl and SEOTS
5. Break the Disparity with the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center
6. Talk with a Doc at the FELLAS 5K Walk
7. Cancer Center & CAB Open House with Sherman Phoenix
8. Understanding Clinical Research Disparities with the Wisconsin Black Historical Society
9. Cancer Disparities...Road and Root with America's Black Holocaust Museum
- CAB Operating Guidelines developed and approved, Oct 2016
- Greater Milwaukee Foundation Racial Equity & Inclusion in Cancer Disparities Grant, Awarded Fall 2015
- Conversations with Scientists Cancer 101, April-May 2016
- 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 Summer Internships in Cancer Disparities, Total of 25 Students
- Cancer Moonshot Summit and Recommendations, June 29, 2016
- Full board retreats and working sessions: 2015, 2017, 2019