Central to the ability of vascular cells to adhere to the extracellular matrix and to each other is an abundant supply of cell surface adhesion molecules that, in addition to influencing the adhesive phenotype of the cell, are also capable of transmitting signals into, and responding to signals from, the cell interior (often referred to an outside/in and inside/out signal transduction, respectively). Such post-ligand events occur by virtue of the ability of these transmembrane proteins to interact with intracellular kinases and phosphatases, G-proteins, adapter proteins, and cytoskeletal components. Our laboratory divides its attention between exploring the role of stimulatory and inhibitory receptors in regulating adhesion and aggregation of human and murine platelets (funded through a Program Project grant), and the structure and function of PECAM-1 in the blood and vascular cells in which it is expressed (funded through a long-standing R01). Techniques range from biochemistry to molecular biology to whole animal models of thrombosis and hemostasis.
Current Grant Support
- NIH Grant R01 HL40926, years 22-26 - Molecular Biology and Function of PECAM-1
- NIH Program Project Grant P01-HL44612, years 21-25 (Program Director, Leader, Project 1, and Director of Administrative Core A) - Molecular Mechanisms of Platelet Activation and Adhesion
- NIH Postdoctoral Training Grant HL-07209 (Co-PI with GC White)
Ongoing NIH-funded research projects
- Molecular mechanisms of integrin signaling
- Integrin/ITAM coupling in platelets and vascular cells
- Role of PECAM-1 adhesion and signaling in endothelial cell barrier function and vascular permeability
- Construction of transgenic and knock-in mice expressing variant forms of PECAM-1
- In vitro microfluidic models of thrombus formation
(Lertkiatmongkol P, Paddock C, Newman DK, Zhu J, Thomas MJ, Newman PJ.) J Biol Chem. 2016 Dec 09;291(50):26216-26225.
(Dai B, Wu P, Xue F, Yang R, Yu Z, Dai K, Ruan C, Liu G, Newman PJ, Gao C.) Thromb Haemost. 2016 Oct 28;116(5):918-930.
(Santoso S, Wihadmadyatami H, Bakchoul T, Werth S, Al-Fakhri N, Bein G, Kiefel V, Zhu J, Newman PJ, Bayat B, Sachs UJ.) Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016 08;36(8):1517-24.
(Lertkiatmongkol P, Liao D, Mei H, Hu Y, Newman PJ.) Curr Opin Hematol. 2016 May;23(3):253-9.
(Paddock C, Zhou D, Lertkiatmongkol P, Newman PJ, Zhu J.) Blood. 2016 Feb 25;127(8):1052-61.
(Zhang N, Zhi H, Curtis BR, Rao S, Jobaliya C, Poncz M, French DL, Newman PJ.) Blood. 2016 Feb 11;127(6):675-80.
(Zhi H, Dai J, Liu J, Zhu J, Newman DK, Gao C, Newman PJ.) PLoS One. 2015;10(8):e0135738.
(Zheng Y, Adams T, Zhi H, Yu M, Wen R, Newman PJ, Wang D, Newman DK.) PLoS One. 2015;10(3):e0119739.
(Mei H, Campbell JM, Paddock CM, Lertkiatmongkol P, Mosesson MW, Albrecht R, Newman PJ.) J Biol Chem. 2014 Jul 25;289(30):20836-44.
(Privratsky JR, Newman PJ.) Cell Tissue Res. 2014 Mar;355(3):607-19.
(Kanaji T, Kanaji S, Montgomery RR, Patel SB, Newman PJ.) Blood. 2013 Oct 10;122(15):2732-42.
(Bakchoul T, Greinacher A, Sachs UJ, Krautwurst A, Renz H, Harb H, Bein G, Newman PJ, Santoso S.) Blood. 2013 Jul 18;122(3):321-7.