Student and Resident Behavioral Health
Welcome! The Medical College of Wisconsin recognizes its students and residents work hard, long and responsibly. We are aware the demands of education training and service to patients can produce a variety of stressors for individuals and their families. Student and Resident Mental Health Services provides a comprehensive program to meet these professional and personal mental health needs. We value your dedication and hope you find these resources helpful.
Ways to Reduce Stress
Watch David Cipriano, PhD, as he offers 10 quick strategies to change your mood from negative to positive.
David J. Cipriano, PhD
Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine
Director, Student and Resident Behavioral Health
(414) 955-8954 | Pager number: (414) 314-5562
View list of Milwaukee-based Student Organizations.
SilverCloud, a Self-Guided Mental Health Resource for Students
SilverCloud is a free, self-guided, interactive mental health resource available to all MCW students, offering online programs for anxiety, depression and stress. Students can complete modules to help with a variety of topics, including sleep, relaxation, grief and loss, self-esteem and more.
For new users, please log into MCWconnect and visit the Student Life tab. Here, you will find instructions, including the required PIN, on how to set up an account. You will be prompted to create your own unique password.
For returning users, you may log into SilverCloud at any time with your username and password through this link: mcw.silvercloudhealth.com
SilverCloud is a supportive tool, but its content is not intended to be a substitute for professional mental health advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you need specific advice or assistance, please contact your medical provider.
ThriveTogether Student Support Groups
These sessions will be hosted weekly and will be one hour in length. Please watch for communication directly from your school for invitation information.
- MSA students – Mondays, 11:00 am
- Graduate students – Tuesdays, 12:00 pm
- Pharmacy students – Tuesdays, 4:00 pm
- Medical students – Thursdays, 12:30 pm
Take Your Mental Health Vitals: Self Assessment Tools
Free or low-cost events for students
- Milwaukee Art Museum After Dark
- Milwaukee Art Museum Free First Thursdays
- Milwaukee Public Museum Free First Thursdays
- Milwaukee County Zoo Family Free Days
- Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Student Discount
- Florentine Opera Student Discount and Student Rush Tickets
- Milwaukee Bucks Student Rush Tickets
- Milwaukee Brewers Student Nights
- Milwaukee Admirals Student Pass
- Jazz in the Park (Thursdays, 5:00-9:00 pm from the end of May through the end of August)
- Chill on the Hill (Tuesdays, 6:00-8:30 pm from June through August)
- Trivia Night at Colectivo (Tuesdays, 7:00-9:00 pm)
- Atwater Beach Yoga in Shorewood (Mondays, 6:30-7:30 pm)
- Farmer’s Markets in Milwaukee area
- $5 Movie Tuesdays at Marcus Theaters
View the Faculty Affairs Wellbeing Newsletter - Wellness Events Calendar (this is an intranet site that requires a user ID and password)
Are you Helping Someone Else: Mental Health First Aid
For Students Only
All new intakes and inquiries about services will go through our new Student Assistance Program, ComPsych. Please call 1 (833) 927-1860. The intake coordinator there will guide you to the right resource for you. This may be one of their network of psychotherapists across the state or through MCW's Student Behavioral Health services in the Department of Psychiatry in Milwaukee or one of the contracted local providers at our regional campuses. It means more choices for you and expanded benefits: 10 sessions per academic year at no charge to you. Housestaff, please use the intake and emergency information below.
General: (414) 955-8950
Referral Coordinator: Carolyn Bischel, MS, LPC
(414) 955-8933 | firstname.lastname@example.org
During Business Hours
1 (833) 927-1860 ComPsych (students only)
After Business Hours
Counseling services available in partnership with St. Norbert College
Counseling services available in partnership with Elmergreen and Associates
24/7 Support - Provided by Resources Outside of MCW
Support available at no cost through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The Crisis Text Line
Provides Free Crisis Support via Text Message:
-Text START to 741741
-Additional information and support available on their website
Green Bay - Family Services of NE Wisconsin
Crisis Support Line
Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division
Crisis Support Line
(414) 257-6300 (for hearing impaired)
Wausau - North Central Health Care
The Trevor Project
LGBT Intervention and Suicide Prevention Hotline